H35 Exhausting project

markus

Thanks to a mini bike buddy that was able to get-r-dun, I now have in my possession some beautifully cut flanges so I can move forward with making up some fairly close replications of the Taylor style exhausts for the small frame rear exhuast H engines :thumbsup:

Looking to see if anyone could supply some good measurements/angles of the one they made for the slanted engine bikes such as the Rupp scrambler:

I can probably get pretty close just mocking something up, just want to make sure it ends up in the right spots so its not burning legs etc..

Ding Ding

Interesting.

On a similar note, I was planning on using a dog-leg style Taylor(which I actually bought from you, Markus) on my H35...

....but upon mounting the engine in the bike realized it interfered slightly with the bike frame.

So, rather than cutting up a perfectly good Taylor, I started searching for other options. I remembered the last time I was at Black Widow, Jim was mocking up several Tecumseh exhausts, one of which was for an H35. I ended up getting his "scratch & dent" prototype model for a great price. It fits on the bike real nice, sounds good, and exhaust exits behind your leg so you never really feel the heat at all.

So this is certainly a great option, but I would ultimately like to get a rear exit exhaust for this H35/bike - the horizontal version. I fear this may discolor or deform the drive guard once installed.

markus

Yea I saw those ones Jim had on the site, they look built well. the angled HS40 header header is pretty clean looking too!

I made 2 previously to see if I could actually do it and at least make it look decent, I dont think they came out too bad compared to some other ones I have seen done, These muffler heads are pretty/stock restrictive though, there is not really anything gained using it other tan maybe fitment unlike the spark arresotr ones where they open up pretty good.

This one I used basically the same bends as what you have (ding ding) except clocked the flange a little differently so the head spit out a little more off center/lower but could still clear a high mount air cleaner

This one I modeled after a G.E.M. products sold header, I think it was made to go along with the "Straight shot" performance Intake (at least thats how I go it) but it would just clear a low mounted stock intake and air cleaner too.

both of those were just playing around to see what would happen, so I need to actually setup a basic Jig so they come out pretty much the same when done. Bummer is these mufflers I am using are NLA anymore so kinda like with the Kickstands I can make, I can only do them when someone digs a stash of parts out of some old stock.

Ding Ding

Those look pretty nice. Clean "factory" look. I'm interested in a rear exit style if you need to find a home for one of your prototypes.

All great stuff , the bicycle seat post may be great to make a jig out of but may not take the heat and really hold up long term , not sure but a concern I'd have , anxious to see what y'all come up with !

All great stuff , the bicycle seat post may be great to make a jig out of but may not take the heat and really hold up long term , not sure but a concern I'd have , anxious to see what y'all come up with !
Most of those "drainpipe" style BMX seatposts are made of 4130 chromemoly tubing , I would think they would be OK