h35 ran rough today

dirt

my h35 ran rough today,it would not run at half or above throttle. i thought maybe the old gas has some setement. there is not many pieces on my carb,
i took off the bowl the needle o ring and gaskets looked new i blew a little air through the gas fitting. sprayed it wit carb cleaner. put it back together the screw on the bottom is almost 2 turns out. there is not any other adjustments to do. the plug was black black dry. so i put in another. i used a new mower plug j8 ,jlm8 ?? now it flys but i get some back fire when i stop pushing it. all thoughts are welcomed.

back fire ? it pops out the exhaust or the air cleaner ? if you are getting a flame out the pipe you may have it set a little too rich .try adjusting it and see if it stops . one thing the pipes on minis like to do that sometimes .

A bowl carb should have an adjustment on the bottom like you say, and two adjustments on the top. The bottom shouldn't be much more than 1-1.5 turns out. The top jet should start out around 1 turn out.