H50 Snow blower motor

I have found a old snow blower with a H50 motor on it in running condition and in descent looking shape. Would this be a good candidate to use on a earlier 70 mini bike. The model # is H50 65472P and the serial # is 31450. I can probably purchase it for around $50 or less. Thanks for any advice that you might have for me. I am well versed on old motorcycles but not as much on Tecumseh.

kayde

The h50 is a good motor.
Few things too consider.

The 1" pto most mini motors are 3/4"

The width of the motor don't fit nicely on alot of bikes.

The engine mounted fuel tank can be too big too fit alot of frames.

These are not deal breakers but obstacles, if your using a larger mini frame then mostly not a concern.
Just a few things I noticed when I try h motors in minis

Last edited:

cfh

The H50 was largely abandoned by mini bike makers by 1970. Rupp was at the forefront of this, with their adaption of the HS40. Due to the HS40 smaller frame size and lighter weight, it was the ideal mini bike motor (until the HS50 came about in 1972.) But since Rupp was not using the H50 anymore, Tecumseh discounted the motor (since Rupp bought a crap load of them for their 1968/1969 models, and then stopped buying them.) That's why you see the H50 on a lot of budget bikes in 1971/1972, like say the Sears Roper models. It appears Tecumseh discounted the H50 in this time period. Probably because the HS50 was introduced in late 1971, it just pushed the H50 motor even further out of favor, unless you were building a budget bike (which say the Roper really was.)

As others have said, it's not an ideal motor for a mini bike. the shear width and size and weight of it kind of excludes it from the "mini" thing. The small frame Tecumsehs (HS40/HS50) are much more ideal and just fit better in nearly every instance. Also parts are easier to get for the HS models. Need a high performance cam or connecting rod? you can get that easily for the HS40/HS50, but not the H50...

Last edited:
Excellent information, thank you so much. The responses I received were exactly what I wanted to know about the H50 line of Tecumseh engines. I don’t often post on here because I am limited in my knowledge of the mini bikes. But I do visit the group site nearly every day. Antique and vintage motorcycles are more my knowledge base.