H70 Barn find

Today I answered A Craigslist ad for a 5HP Tecumseh engine. Pictures in the ad showed a white engine that looked like a Tecumseh. For the $20.00 asking price I wasn't arguing. It would be worth it for that kind of money just for parts. When I got to the guys place I checked the engine by pulling the starter rope. I pulled the cord and it rotated and felt like it had compression. There was a centrifugal clutch on it that told me that at some time it had may have been on a minibike or go kart. I paid the man and loaded it into my truck. A quick glance at the top of the shroud and I could see no numbers stamped there. So I looked at the side of the block and there was a tag riveted on there. The Model number started with H70. So not a 5HP engine but a 7HP. Maybe good for my Heald VT-5 project? Whatever, I was good with my acquisition.

When I got it home I looked up the numbers off the tag and the Carburetor.

Model Number H70-130067 on the tag for the engine.
Serial Number 0176-16489 On the tag.
The Carb had 280 0F16

The Tag also had lubrication information for the engine by the Ariens company. Looking through my Tecumseh service manual I had already identified the throttle assembly configuration as a Snow King engine. So former snowblower engine I figure.

There are teeth on the flywheel telling me that a starter is possible. Hopefully a 12v one can be fitted. I don't think a starter was ever installed because there is a cover plate retained by a screw covering the bulge in the shroud where the starter would fit.

This weekend I am looking forward to seeing if I can get this engine running so I can evaluate it's potential future as a power plant.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Mike T

its a good motor for like a go cart,or maybe a big framed mini bike.
keep in mind the new ohv motors mostly have 6-7hp right out of the box and a bit lighter.

i have a couple of these including the white one you show.
we swapped a lighted flywheel into it and electronic ign too.
it does the job,but nothing stellar to report.
id keep looking if i were you,prolly find a snowblower with a headlite and then youd have a lighted coil motor already.
what are you building?

This was advertised as a 5HP. I plan to put a 5HP in my Ruttman so I grabbed it. Obviously not a 5HP so I am still looking for one. However I do have a narrow fork Heald frame, most likely a VT-5, that I would like to use this in if it will work.

Mike T

The big block H series Tecumseh engines won't fit in a VT-3/5 frame unfortunately. Ask me how I know lol. You will need a small block such as an HS50.

Doc

Cuda54

If the frame is to short for height do like I did on a Rupp frame. I used a bottle jack and some blocks and opened up the frame to where it had room to fit. So my boys had a 7hp Rupp Roadster 2 it ran great too. Did a lot off wheelies too. You can always make it fit and work.

i dont know what your frame height is,ie,total inches from plate surface to underside of frame bars = ?
thats gonna make a difference.
my grand prix is shaped that way,framewise,
and i threw quite a few combos on it before settling on a honda gc190 motor w a pmr jackshaft.

my advice,if you arent eggsackly rich?
start watching for broken pressure washers < they sometimes shear the crank keyway when the water pump breaks so Be warned there.

keep looking at snowblowers,you want the smaller House version they came with 5 horse motors on them.

they are easy to tell apart because of the chassis size,
the bigger commercial ones are huge,and usually carry a 7-10hp tec motor with a 1 inch shaft.
the only catch is,check the end of the Crank! before you Buy it!
a lot didnt get Drilled and threaded.
make sure you check crank size.

as always,look for a headlite mounted on the snowblower bars,this means its a lighted coil motor and will be quite nice for a build.

Great information. Thanks!

I admit I wasn't fully informed on the differences in Tecumseh engines. I was completely unaware this H70 was a big block. last night I just read the forum and enlightenment happened. I am still looking for an engine but now have a better idea of what to look for.

Mike T

Just to further clarify or confuse things :laugh:

That engine is the same size as an H50. Minus the tank it fits a lot of 5hp bikes from the 1960's. Remember the HS50 (small frame 5hp) didn't come out until 1972.

It's still bigger and heavier than what is ideal for a minibike, but it will drop in anywhere an H50 was originally used.

This is just the kind of information that I was missing. I have been reading this forum for 5 years and somehow missed this obvious stuff. Apparently all I own are Big Blocks. H50, H60, H70. And 2 side poppers; H30 and a Craftsman. Don't know how to figure what those are.

Does anyone have pictures of as HS50 and an H50 side by side?

Mike T

markus

This is just the kind of information that I was missing. I have been reading this forum for 5 years and somehow missed this obvious stuff. Apparently all I own are Big Blocks. H50, H60, H70. And 2 side poppers; H30 and a Craftsman. Don't know how to figure what those are.

Does anyone have pictures of as HS50 and an H50 side by side?

Mike T

H35 (lighted :pimp:) left, center HS40, right H50

Those are all 1969-1971 versions, the HS50 and later version "small frame" H and HS will have a slightly larger more square on the top fanshroud so it will be a little wider on the right but no difference anywhere else to the center engine. They do, in photos look alot like a medium frame engine but side by side as you can see from above there is a big difference!

Late 1970's HS50 with the square shroud:

Mike I have that larger manifold youre after. Ill bring it to the car show. Let me know if you need anything else. I do have a couple newer 5.5hp flatheads but theyve got issues and the shrouds dont have the vintage look

Great information and pictures. Thank you.

Yeah, there's really no mistaking the HS engines is there? Very compact engine. I see that the carb and exhaust are reversed positions from the Big Block engines and the H35. Is that something unique to the HS40 and HS50? or do other Tecumseh horizontal engines have that configuration as well?

So for my Ruttman I want a H35 or a HS40 or HS50 to fit well and be somewhat correct. Right?

But for my Heald VT-5 what engine does that get? HS50 would work for that too I am thinking.

thanks again for the excellent information.

Mike T

Mike I have that larger manifold youre after. Ill bring it to the car show. Let me know if you need anything else. I do have a couple newer 5.5hp flatheads but theyve got issues and the shrouds dont have the vintage look
Hey thanks. I sort of wandered off while we were talking. Sorry. I'm pretty sure I will be at the show on Saturday so that's good.

Mike T

You want an HS40 or HS50 for the VT-5. You can't cram an H50 in it without damaging the frame. I tried lol.

Doc
Right I can see that the bigger Heald bikes have that kink in the frame and mine is just a straight shot to the back. 5HP should be good with the torque converter drive, Never had a Tork converter before and I am looking forward to that. I have 5 acres to ride and it's mostly on a hill so gearing will be important.

Mike T

If you plan on restoring a VT-5, also search for VT-3. The bikes were the same except for color and horse power. The man here who regarded as "All Things Heald" is Chatten63. Rick will help you with parts and information. Also search for Peekster's VT-3/5. It is perfect. You also need to know about Ron Kimble and Powertec. He is the man who bought Heald and still sells some parts for the bike. Welcome to the Heald fold. You will NOT regret restoring your VT.

Power Tec Replacement Parts | Kimball Hauler | Heald Hauler | Chi Products | Haulmaster Hauler | Pug | Super Bronc | Trail Bronc | Heald Hauler Parts | Super Bronc Parts | Super Tryke Parts | Haulmaster Hauler Parts

Doc

The serial number on this H70 is different configuration from the other Tecumseh engines that I have so I'm not sure if I am figuring the year of the engine correctly. Can someone educate me here?

The numbers are on a tag riveted to the shroud.
Model Number H70-130067
Serial Number 0176 16489

Mike T

Last edited:

markus

1970, the first set of numbers directly after the serial are what references the date (in this case 0=1970 176=whatever day of that year.)