Heald Super Bronc Basket Case

Just picked up whats left of a VT-7, I think. Or is this a VT-8? Older style with only one hole above rear axle bolt for the shock and straight forks. Think I reading somewhere that the VT-7s were blue and the 8s were red but dunno.

When I showed it to the wife she called it a VT-zero.... :doah:

Got the fork lowers/springs/axle and the chrome there is rusty. Has front brake drum on 8" rim with 18-8.5-8 crusty tire. Rear axle is in backwards and motor plate does have notch for chain clearance. Have the rear sprocket. Got the jackshaft plate, driven clutch and band drum. Has round style kickstand. Chrome fenders are rusty to the point I think I will have to paint them. Front fender is not too bad. Rear fender has two cracks as shown in the pic and will need work. Chrome handlebars look pretty good. Rear fender and forks have mounting holes for lights, etc. The fenders have holes at the lower edges. Is this for mudflaps?

Think I got most of the important parts.

For the clutch, since I didn't get the driver, I have a 1" Comet TAV30 driver and driven that will be used. Will need to find a 7 or 8hp lighted motor for it. I have another new Predator in the box, but don't want to do that to this bike.

This will not be a full resto. This will be a restomod and a rider, with the first mod being welding a plate on the rear axle and using a hydraulic disc brake. Maybe a hydraulic front disc too. Like how Carl Heald might make it if they were made today. Safety upgrades, newer parts, etc, but still have the Bronc look.

Thinking of keeping it blue with white rims, and white fenders with a blue racing stripe down the rib in the middle of the fender.

Got it all stripped down and found the head tube bent back about 1/4". Forks look fine though. Bolt through the head tube did not bend. Hmm. Is this common?

Bent it back easy with my tubing bender. Should have take a pic before... :doah:

Thinking of adding a gusset to support the tube. It is long and only supported in the middle.

Holes in the bottom edge of both fenders are uneven. Someone had added mudflaps somewhere in her life. Will weld those shut. Underside of rear fender is quite rusty. Another reason the fenders will probably get blasted and painted.

Rear tire does not want to come off the rim. Someone had glued it on. Might try the Buck method...

Also, what are the two small holes in the frame in front of the front seat mount for? Aux gas tank? Evenly spaced about 4" in front of the seat hinge.

Maybe I should just wait for the big spreadsheet breakdown I ordered before asking more questions....

Last edited:
I can say this will be an interesting project with how much it is fighting me so far.

Got the rear tire off.

The green liquid is "Slime". It is what off roaders use to seal punctures offroad. Also the reason the tire would not come off. I had to cut through the sidewall with a knife and then snip little by little till I got through the bead. Friggin Dunlop uses steel belts in the bead. What a pain.

Last edited:
The more I did into this, the worse it gets.

Lower fork tube bent. Not a big deal and already fixed with the tubing bender. The next issue is the front axle that has a nice S bend in it. And one of the nuts is rusted in place. Axle has been clamped hard in a vice multiple times and looks like arse. Spacers on the axle are homemade and not square.

After looking at the rims, it looks like both will have to be tubed after they get blasted and painted.

Getting better every post!

Super broncs are cool can't wait to see what you do with it . I have one its kinda rough but i like it .
I have always wanted one of the fat tired bikes since I first saw one. Almost bought a Manco Fat Cat a couple months ago, but glad I waited now. I was considering building from scratch, but when this became available, I jumped at it.

Think I am up to my knees so far in the quicksand of this one though...

What other parts do you need?
I just made an order with OldMiniBikes for the stem bushings, wheel and jackshaft bearings, and a tire tube.

Hmmm. Hard parts needed...

7 or 8hp lighted Tec 1" crank
headlight
taillight
switchplate
two footpegs and 4 grips
rear shocks
rear shock to seat bracket
seat, or at least a pattern for the seat.
front axle, if I can't straighten this one.
front and rear tires
Maybe a front rim. The rust is pretty bad on the inside and if there are holes, I will need one. Will find out tomorrow.

I posted in the parts wanted also.

BTW, what size sprocket is supposed to be on the jackshaft for the chain to the rear axle?

Ron Kimball still sells
headlights maybe tailights.
I might have 2 footpegs and maybe a switchplate from a vt-8 or 10 if I can find it. But it needs to be painted and re lettered. Jeep2003? I think sells the seat bracket to the shocks. Kenny sells real nice seats. Plastic tanks come up for sale every so often too...
You should call Ron and he can tell you what he has and doesn't. Real nice guy. He can get you the sprocket specs. I am not sure if they are the same as the 10. I can check the jackshaft sprocket tomorrow on mine if someone else doesnt chime in first. Randy

If you spent less time typing and more time working. You could have been done by now.....Slacker...:smile:
Got a little done and a step backward.

After 4 hours in front of the blast cabinet:

And here is the engine plate. Not too terrible... No cuts, etc. slots unmolested. I have one spot next to the steering tube to fix and she will be ready for paint.

The rear rim came out looking like the lunar surface. None of the pits are through the wheel and the outside looks good. Bead area looks good. Thinking just seal the pits and call it good.

And the step back:

Two holes through the bead outer edge. The rest of the bead area on that side of the rim looks the same. Bad. The other side not as bad, but more pits than the rear rim. I suppose I could rebuild the bead area with JB, but the rest of the rim on that side is thin. Thinking I would be better off finding another front rim.

Anyone got one?

Last edited:
Since I want to update this with hydraulic brakes, and the cost of buying and then rebuilding a 7hp Tec, thinking of updating the engine. I know I said I didn't want to do that, but the cost may drive me to it.

I originally said I wanted to build a new version Heald. Guess that would include the motor....

But what now has a lighting coil?

Just started, but thanks!

Found one front rim on Ebay and it looks bad. Looks worse on the outside than mine did before blasting and theirs is already tubed. May have rim holes...

The search continues.

I did pick up primer and will at least seal all this bare metal before I have to blast it again. Or I could go get it powdercoated. Dunno.