Heathkit Boonie Bike Finished!

Really came out nice. Just curious, is the carb mounted on a rubber hose? If it is does it shake much?
That is a good Question. It's a flatslide Mikuni carb. It is designed to mount to a rubber hose. There is a metal tube that mounts to the head, then the normal practice is a straight rubber hose over the metal tube. The rubber is about an inch longer than the tube.
I found a 45 degree bent hose made for it. In it's normal install, the carb shakes a lot. I took a pair of cutters from Home Depot made for PEX tubing and shortened it to as close to the elbow as I could and still leave enough hose to mount the carb. Removed about 2".
Doesn't shake much at all now. Did the same thing on my go kart.
If I idle down too low, my engine really shakes. The carb was spitting fuel out of the overflows. That's with it the way it is now.

Minimichael

It looks fast. Congrats.
On the carb mount, I recc the 4-ply silicone hose – if you can find it.
I've read lengthening the carb manifold can also improve low-end torque ... or responsiveness, or something.

It looks fast. Congrats.
On the carb mount, I recc the 4-ply silicone hose – if you can find it.
I've read lengthening the carb manifold can also improve low-end torque ... or responsiveness, or something.
I thought the opposite was true.
I thought short, narrow manifolds were better for low RPM, like short, narrow tracks and longer, wider manifolds were better for longer, wider tracks. That might only be true for multi-cylinder applications, though.

Minimichael

I thought the opposite was true.
I thought short, narrow manifolds were better for low RPM, like short, narrow tracks and longer, wider manifolds were better for longer, wider tracks. That might only be true for multi-cylinder applications, though.
Narrow sounds familiar, too. But something about the charge already being loaded was what I thought I read.

Anyway, I don't see that carb shaking much. Hey and please let us know how it rides! Looks fun. Can't wait for summer.

Last edited:
Growing up in the early 70's there was a kid on our street that had a boonie bike. I was so friggin jealous!
Yours looks awesome! Now I'm jealous of yours lol

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, that is an oil drail hose. "drainzit"
I was glad the fuel pump worked out. I had a tank on top of the engine with a side fill, but I still couldn't get the cap off so I found the spun aluminum one. Pretty happy with that decision.
Weather's going to be crappy the next few days. I'll get a ride soon.