Help on a 3.5hp briggs.

Hi guys, i recently bought a deltek deckson mini bike with a 1977 3.5hp briggs with the model number 80302. When i first got the bike i put some gas in it and by pulling it had no compression so i tore the engine down and put new rings, gasket, spark plug and cleaned the head and valves ect. but i put it back together and put some petrol in it and it fired up but didnt start. So about 3 hours later of tampering with the carby and cleaning it no luck. The problem is it will fire up and start very rarely but i think the timeing is out or something i took the valves out and timed it correcley but no luck.

gene

did you change the points when you overhauled it? do you have good spark? did you run a compression check to see if you have good compression? how is the flywheel key?

it has a beautiful spark, i set the points with a feeler gauge, flywheel key is ok but i thinking its the valve but it sounds like not enough fuel is getting to the piston

Valve clearance to tight will cause it to spit back through carb and can make it hard to start esspecialy if engine is already hot from running the intake clearance is critical to good starting good luck:thumbsup:

Valve clearance to tight will cause it to spit back through carb and can make it hard to start esspecialy if engine is already hot from running the intake clearance is critical to good starting good luck:thumbsup:
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the valve clearence 5-7 thousandths for the intake and 9 to 11 thousandths for the exhaust???

Also look to see if the head of the valveis bent. you can do this by taking the valve out and sticking the stem in a drill and spin it. if there is any out of roundness it wont be making a good seal on the seat. Also if you need to open the valve lash, you can take the end of the stem to a bench grinder but be carfull not to take too much off and make sure it is a good flat grind too.