HM80 only runs with choke on

ruppking

Make sure that your throttle butterfly plate is adjusted correctly. There is a line stamped in it it should be pointed up. If the throttle plate doesn’t close all the way, you won’t be able to get it to idle. Just something to Check.

Mr. Pink

Did you remove the carb welch plugs when you cleaned it?
Michael
A couple of years ago I had the same symptom on my tractor (Kawasaki engine), it would only run with the choke on.
A few days earlier I found the welch plug on the ground. Never even having touched the carb prior to this.
Didn't know what this tiny shiny disc was, picked it up and put it aside.
Then while troubleshooting and Googling the problem, I learned about welch plugs.
None of the local dealers had any new plugs in stock, so I reinstalled the old one with a dab of RTV on top.
Been working fine since.

1712515109625.png

1712515145079.png

I did not pull these, never thought to. I'll do that when I reclean everything.
A "full and thorough" carb cleaning should always include removing them. Make sure you get the (properly sized) replacements before you remove and clean the tiny orifices behind the old ones, as they are not reusable.
Michael

All thanks for the advice, I got the bike to run and idle well. My starting idle mixture screw and main were too low. I'm not sure exactly what they are set at right now, but it's doing well. Now my last issue is it will idle for about a minute then die and will start right back up. I don't want to adjust the idle adjust screw anymore than it is as the bike wants to move forword.

Any suggestions on what to tweak to get the bike to idle consistently more than a minute. It does have an inline filter on it.

Yes I did, pulled it completely apart and cleaned it all. The two holes for the idle circuit one is larger than the other, im not sure if that's correct or not.

My only other guess is maybe there is not enough fuel getting into the carb. I'd imagine it can't use much fuel when idling.

Turn idle speed down until it sounds like it will die. Adjust idle mixture screw for best, highest idle. Turn idle speed down again. Adjust mixture again. When you get it barely loping along and you can't go any slower or make it smoother with the mix screw, THEN adjust you idle speed to specs.

That "tweak" will work on any adjustable carburetor on any engine.
Thanks, got it to idle nice. It's running real rich right now and has a surging at about 1/3 throttle. I tried turning the main jet in, but then the bike would idle right and I messed with the idle mixture screw and idle adjustment, but it didn't help much.

For now it idles and is real rich with the surge.

Any suggestions on next adjustments to try. I know the idle mixture screw is set about 1.5 turns out. Not sure on the main, guessing atheist 2 plus turns.

Now that it idles, this is what I do. Probably not correct but it works. Block the frame so the back wheel is off the ground. Twist throttle wide open and turn high speed needle until the carb butterfly closes the most....closest to idle with throttle wide open. Release throttle and readjust idle.
Then if it seems weak on accel, turn high speed out 1/4 turn.

Now that it idles, this is what I do. Probably not correct but it works. Block the frame so the back wheel is off the ground. Twist throttle wide open and turn high speed needle until the carb butterfly closes the most....closest to idle with throttle wide open. Release throttle and readjust idle.
Then if it seems weak on accel, turn high speed out 1/4 turn.
thanks for the help, the best i've got it to run and still idle is idle mixture screw at 1.5 out and the high speed at 2.25 out, i tried to turn the high speed down below 2 turns and i couldn't get it to idle with adjusting from there. I'm gong to leave it as is and see how rich the plug looks after a few rides. Hopefully it will be ok running pretty rich.