Hobbies and other interest

Oldsalt

65ShelbyClone

There are at least two engines there in that condition and another crankcase/crankshaft with flywheels. The problem is that they are on national monument land and disturbing anything is unlawful. In fact, a ranger visited our group while I was shooting those photos....and they carry sidearms out there. :gunsmilie:

Oldsalt

We have a simular situation near here only it's a radial engine out of a Hellcat. Nomatter the dilligence it's disappearing piece by piece.

I built 3d maps for Source first person shooter games. Such a Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Team Fortress 2, etc.

Here's my most recent work:

I also play Counter-Strike: Source competitively.

Though this video isn't of me playing competitively, it's just a quick video of a mod of Counter-Strike: Source called Deathmatch Gun Game in which players try to go through the different guns as fast as possible and whoever reaches the last weapon wins. [Music is not safe for work, or kids! :)]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVPrWUBUASw

65ShelbyClone

Here's a new acquisition up Oldsalt's alley...

International Harvester LB model, 1½-2½hp and I got it running on 20 year-old gasoline within 10min of unloading it.

Oldsalt

That IH even has the org. water hopper cover, gas tank cap and spark plug wire clip! Very nice original engine. May I make a sugestion? Don't re-paint it or do anything to pimp it up like a French Tart. Some might not believe it starting on decades old gas but I gotta say I have seen it several times. If anything remotely burnable gets into the combustion chamber of one of these old engines it fires. How did you acquire it? Got any more old engines? I attached a pic of my latest engine a 1916 Fuller-Johnson 4 HP. This motor cost me 500 dollars. Its very original and was easy to get running. Had to rebuild the low tension magnito and fix the ignitor and fuel tank. Again, will not get repainted as that would make it look like a toy and would be worth a lot less money.

65ShelbyClone

I'll relay the info about leaving the paint alone. It actually belongs to my father; I just helped lift it into and out of the truck....and get it running. ;) The hopper cover isn't actually original; the previous owner found it in a recycling yard. I guess it's correct for the engine, though. I think some of these IHs would run on kerosene too, so I'm not that surprised it ran on varnished gas. This is the first antique engine he's owned and I have none, so it's fun.

Not bad for a freebie, eh? Well, free at the expense of a favor down the road...;)

2hp cushman complete not running but turns free 1918 fairbanks 1 1/2 hp 500 rpm max speed cupped flywheel no carb both in storage no pics love this old stuff both your engines are great :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

2hp cushman complete not running but turns free 1918 fairbanks 1 1/2 hp 500 rpm max speed cupped flywheel no carb both in storage no pics love this old stuff both your engines are great :thumbsup:
Always called a cupped flywheel fairbanks engine a "dishpan motor". They didn't make them for very long. I'd keep a eye out for a carb before too much time goes by and they get impossible to find. Discribe the Cushman engine. I have long wanted to own one but have not been lucky enough to fine one at a reasonable price.

Oldsalt

I'll relay the info about leaving the paint alone. It actually belongs to my father; I just helped lift it into and out of the truck....and get it running. ;) The hopper cover isn't actually original; the previous owner found it in a recycling yard. I guess it's correct for the engine, though. I think some of these IHs would run on kerosene too, so I'm not that surprised it ran on varnished gas. This is the first antique engine he's owned and I have none, so it's fun.

Not bad for a freebie, eh? Well, free at the expense of a favor down the road...;)
Good to hear he got it at the right price. I also have acquired several by doing work on some ones engine and etc. Making new bearings and valve gear for the old simple motors is easy. The max my son and I have paid for a engine is 16 hundred and that was for a pair of model Y Fairbanks-Morse 15 HP diesel engines. I was looking at a guy's Brown engine a couple of weeks ago. It's a 10 HP and he had to have new flywheels cast for it. [$$$] He now has 17K in the restoration. That's right seventeen thousand! Your dad can't go wrong acquiring more engines. IMHO mini bikes are just now being discovered as really collectable items and from here on out escalation of asking prices is all that can happen.