Hobby Shop

Oldsalt

I've been frugal for many years, and likewise my eldest son. Never spent money on frivious things. Always used cars. Twenty one inch TVs. Small economical houses. No dishwashers or hot tubs. A window air conditioner in the living room. Spent a vacation roofing this house because it would save a couple of grand. But there comes a time......

We have too many hobbies so it was decided to build a shop big enough to put everything in. Minibikes, as many know, can take up a lot of space. And cars are far worse. Antique engines can't be stacked. With construction down the prices are currently much lower. Lots of folks are now willing to sell material or work at a job that a year or so ago they would have been too proud to take. My son and I are able to do dozing and lazer leveling so that helps the bottom line.

A patch of land on top a mountain [only $1200 an acre] with a more or less all-year-round gravel road, was bull dozed flat. We cut it to virgin ground, no back-filling. The pictures shows a 60 foot X 150 foot building, with 16 foot eaves, being erected. It now has power; took 27 power poles to get electricty to the top of the mountian. The water well needed to be drilled to 730 feet in hard basalt to get adaquate water. Monday the septic tank is being put in it's hole. The building crew are going to set the 30 rafters next week. I admit that this is totally crazy in the eyes of many.

It's expensive, but being built with money honestly worked for and saved. It makes me smile inwardly when some dude in a 45 grand diesel pick up [with 72 months of payments and not a cent saved for tomorrow] looks down his nose at me in my battered, used 92 Toyota and feels like he's totally cool. The effect is even better when my out of control 95 pound dog is smearing his nose all over the side window. I still have a hard time deciding who is crazy.

TomH

Almost ready to pull the trigger on my shop. Won't be as big, but done the same way. There our at least two of us here. I don't owe anybody nothing. :thumbsup:

Good for you Lon! Don't forget the bunker and food cellar.
I'm learning not to worry about what the the guy in a new Duramax thinks. Chances are he doesn't.
Again, congrats on the shop.

Congrats. That's what my Dad is in the begginning stages if. Only his will be 1/3 the size. He has been patient and worke two jobs to make it happen. The township he lives in is very strict. He is on a very rural back road that are minimal 2 acre lots, but they are killing him in permits and variences.
He first purchased my late Grandfather's 32 Ford 5 window coupe from my Grandmother (rolling steel project). Now he is building the shop he always wanted to finish it in complete with lift. I'm couldn't be happier for him to see this day come.
Oldsalt, will you share some more photos as it is completed?

Again, congrats!:thumbsup:

Congrats Oldsalt! It's always nice to have a dream realized and lofty future goals, but when you do it with hard earned cash and not having to finance a dime, it hits that special place inside that looks like this :biggrin: if you were to have an ex-ray! On a serious note, I'd have to advise you not to sleep with a pillow for the next week or so, with a grin that big your liable to choke on it! :laugh:

The building is nice, but the biggest accomplishment in this story is you and your son's relationship. My hat is off to you both. You for leading by example and teaching your son the right and wrong ways to live life. And you son for recognizing what's important in life and not falling into the pressures of the now generation!

It's absolutely wonderful! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing,
it's even got me to grinning! :biggrin::biggrin:

Awesome!! Someday I will reach my goal of moving my family out to the country and having some acreage for all of us to enjoy. Makes me smile when I see stuff like this. Makes me look forward to the future. Thanks..