homemade exhaust

Home made exhaust!

I work for the school system here in North Texas and I am thinking of the same thing. I looked in the trash dumpster the other day and I saw lots of chrome pipes from old desks and seats. There were 90 deg. bends and every other angle you can think of. The legs were tapered from 3/4" to 1 1/4". I saw somewhere here that some flanges are available for 10 bucks. That started me to thinking about a Cushman Eagle I had when I was a kid. It sure did sound sweet without the innards. So I says Hmmmmm! Maybe this will help you. I haven't gone any further yet.

Shagnasty

buy one. it's not worth the hassle to make one when you can buy a header that is designed for the engine for around $40.
im just saying when people don't want to spend the money just make one. i had to make mine to fit the frame. none of the ones that you can buy would fit it.:doah:

it only took me an hour. and that's to cut/fit/weld it all together it has 3 stages .

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

delray

Shawntom2000,i am still using the stock engine on my bike,but the concept is still the same. like some of the guys where saying,you can use just about any type of steel pipe make a header pipe for your db. here's my header pipe with a muffler built into the tail pipe on my db bike. i just use a thick oversize washer(1/8thick)with the same size inside exhaust port #dem for my header flange and just went from there with some bends in the pipe. if you are just using the bike for doodle around yard and stuff? i would still have some kind of baffle(muffler)to keep the the noise level down and also allow the engine to perform good with the stock 6.5 engine. also take advantage of the rear fender bracket to hold your pipe in place:thumbsup:

here is another project with a header pipe with muffler built into the tail pipe and you can see how i made the pipe adjustable in the back for engine/chain.

and the best thing about. it didn't cost me a dime:thumbsup:
bike can sound real cool with a muffler built into the tail pipe and it won't piss off your neighbors:doah:

I work for the school system here in North Texas and I am thinking of the same thing. I looked in the trash dumpster the other day and I saw lots of chrome pipes from old desks and seats. There were 90 deg. bends and every other angle you can think of. The legs were tapered from 3/4" to 1 1/4". I saw somewhere here that some flanges are available for 10 bucks. That started me to thinking about a Cushman Eagle I had when I was a kid. It sure did sound sweet without the innards. So I says Hmmmmm! Maybe this will help you. I haven't gone any further yet.

Shagnasty
Funny. I chopped a section of the tubing that wrapped around my shop
stool,to make the header for my mini. It had that nice wide bend 90 degree
section I needed.Forget getting a tube/pipe bender,when my $20 shop
stool worked perfectly,and it still functions just the same,like it was stable
before.LOL.:hack:

delray

Shawntom2000,you could pick up a muffler like Strigoi posted and just cut off the threaded pipe end and weld it to your header pipe and then slip over a tail pipe to give it that vintage minibike sound:thumbsup:,not like a lawnmower sound. some of the older minibikes where kind of built like that. for example the mtd/columbia bikes did that.
file picture:

6.5 motor might be little loader with more air pushing through,but cool sound is still there:thumbsup:
YouTube - baja doodle bug 15% temp(cold)
YouTube - jd minibike start up 15%temp(cold)

I used tubes from some handlebars i found on a girls bicycle I cut 2 90's off and cut off the muffler and welded it till it exited in the middle of the frame tubes, I then broke the welds cuz i rode it and it didnt have enuff support, so i re welded it and welded a tab on the tip tward the bottom and made a support out of alluminium flat stock, It is very quiet because the tip has glass pack material in it, it was a aftermarket tip for a vw bug, you should try it, or even a stock vw tip would probably work and flow well. ACC-D-2525-10 - CUSTOM CHROME TAPERED TAIL PIPES W/ BAFFLES FOR STANDARD BEETLE MUFFLER - SOLD PAIR those r the tips if u buy em u get 2 so u can make 2 exhausts. I just used a washer to go from small to big tube, I would love to find some kind of reducer that goes from the diameter of the tip to the tube on the flange.

Last edited: