homemade shifter kart idea

I have a chinese made 250cc two stroke 5 speed dirt bike engine I have obtained through random trades on craigslist and this is currently on the dirt bike still, but I want to make a dune buggy/go kart with the engine, got a few questions about doing so.. taking the engine off the dirt bike and slapping it on a frame is easy however how would i be able to use the rear sprocket on the dirt bike on the go kart axle? I don't know what # chain the bike has and was wondering if screwing it onto an adapter or possibly welding it onto the frame would be best, also was wondering how to make a shifter lever, if anyone has any more info that they want to share it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance:thumbsup:

You are probably just better off using a different sprocket on your gokart. You might be able to find a hub that lets ya bolt your sprocket to a hub, that filts your axle for a little cheaper. But basic sprockets are fairly cheap anyways.

the shifter is going to be one of those things that comes to you once the engine is mounted and you have a visible path from the engine leaver to wherever you decide to have your shifting mechanism.