How to get more speed on a baja mini bike CHEAP!!! (Brainstorm/Idea posts)

I have the common problem of a stock baja that its not that fast. I only live in a half-acre(ish) property. And for that reason I don't care about take-off speed at all. Seeing how it takes me about 4 seconds to cross my yard... I wanted to get at least 40-50mph on the roads rather than the dirt. But that's a problem unless you tinker with the engine or buy a $100+ torque converter. So I watched this guys video -/watch?v=dTRF46LMOf8 and he got 53mph by changing the jack-shaft drive gear from a 10t to a 20t sprocket. His bike was not that modified (Yes my bike has the "Line" gov bypass, I use it very carefully without the billet stuff.) And supposedly got about 53mph I can get the chain links and stuff but will this ruin the clutch? Like a direct drive would? I already spent like 600$ when I first bought the bike so I don`t want to spend much more.
See this also for video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTRF46LMOf8
Any ideas?:confused:

Yeah, swapping the sprocket will give you top end speed, but the clutch will not live long.

Sure, the TAV is expensive to start, but by the time you replace a few clutches, it may have paid for itself.

Direct drive it and eliminate the jackshaft plate....you will get comparable speed. And the clutch will not toast as fast. I drove this one all summer and at the track. Then sold it and the clutch is still going. *note..upgraded to Hilliard clutch though. It was 45 bucks at Tractor Supply.

Added clone after this pic....

Last edited:
Yeah, swapping the sprocket will give you top end speed, but the clutch will not live long.

Sure, the TAV is expensive to start, but by the time you replace a few clutches, it may have paid for itself.
Agreed 100% I already bought one clutch, and for 30-40$ they ain`t cheap... Now if I had a higher torque/hp engine, would the clutch burn out that easily with that gearing setup? I don't mind buying a cheap tav off ebay for 102$ but what top speed would that get me at 3600rpm? Even 40mph is good enough. I`m not making a sports bike or anything.

Again thanks for your input!

@cheezy1 are you sure about that, Strangrcr1 doesnt think so and neither do most other guys. What is your gearing setup? (Clutch-10t/11t/12t and then what rear sprocket, I have a stock mb165 so how many teeth would that have?) I was considering this but my chains are too long so before I :censure: anything up I want to be sure it works.

@cheezy1 are you sure about that, Strangrcr1 doesnt think so and neither do most other guys. What is your gearing setup? (Clutch-10t/11t/12t and then what rear sprocket, I have a stock mb165 so how many teeth would that have?) I was considering this but my chains are too long so before I :censure: anything up I want to be sure it works.
Then listen to them.....I only respond unless I know and did it. But to each their own....

Clutch life is all in how you ride it. If you ride it at high speed all the time, the clutch will last a while. It's takeoffs and slow speed riding where the clutch will wear and heat up with tall gearing like that.

And higher HP would probably burn the clutch faster, unless you are gentle with it until it is up to speed.

None, I like stock motors, But I`m thinking of welding a straight-pipe, I have the string gov. bypass. But I have used FULL synthetic oil, and inside of the engine, to clean it I hand clean all the gears and stuff. But I`ve only done it twice now, All in great shape. I dont want to fully bypass the gov and such without billet parts. I have heard of a "Mikuni" carb people have put on these but I stick to stock. It`s not worth doing ANY of that stuff to a CLONE honda. I dont like the gov. bypass I have seen pieces of plastic in my oil. From a very bad gov. gear. so be careful with your bypass.