How To: Making a Mac Header

I haven't posted any form of project or a how to thread in some time so I decided to make a thread on a new part I will be making soon.

I will go through all the steps in real time so it might get a little boring over the next couple weeks but it is what I have to go through in making a part.

No, there will be no royalties because you read this thread...

First thing is deciding on what parts to make and if it is worth while, on this part I need a few and so does a unnamed friend who will be helping with this project, and I know it is probably good for a solid 20 parts sold quick then one here and there.

My new part will be a McCulloch Header they are cool looking rare and well just cool looking...

This was my first step playing the auction game to get a doner part

Vintage Kart McCulloch Bugle Exhaust Racing Go Cart | eBay

After receiving the doner part and inspecting it, it will need a good cleaning that's for sure!! this old fuel mix oil on here is really baked on. The doner is a bit beat and hacked on but that's perfect to me I didn't have to pay top dollar for it and it will be turned into a pattern board so who cares.

When I was looking at it for sale on ebay I noticed the home built bracket that was screwed to the back, what a pain that was getting it off with the baked on oil inside trying to hold the bolt with a wrench sucked! But what I didn't know is that the original part had a raised area just for this? so I have decided on the new part I will ad some material to this area so it can be drilled and tapped and a stud used.

The next step is to try and clean it some so I threw it in the Vibratory and it is viben away now.

another view, On the back side you can still see the part line from the pattern board when the original part was made.

I will clean this part up a lot, it is quite a crude casting not much time was spent making the original board.

Next step is to send the part out and have it cut in half with a EDM, with the holiday weekend it will be a solid week before we see more.

Original part line

Time for the stupid questions - Sorry

Wht EDM wire cut the part in half? Would a bandsaw not work, or does it remove to much material?

Thanks

Ps the only reason I ask all the questions is because I admire your work and take an interest in what you do :thumbsup:

Time for the stupid questions - Sorry

Wht EDM wire cut the part in half? Would a bandsaw not work, or does it remove to much material?

Thanks

Ps the only reason I ask all the questions is because I admire your work and take an interest in what you do :thumbsup:
Your correct the EDM will remove .008 from the part and band saw would be very cude and .075-.090 ish I would guess. The part is boxed now with some goodies for my buddy to work with, I will probably cut the board with some pics this week but the header will be a week out I assume we will all see keeping the thread in real time.

This is what's going on with the project today, And I want to say Thanks!! it is sure nice to have friends to lend a helping hand with stuff like this :thumbsup:

The header set up in the EDM, it was bolted to a plate as a fixture to hold it in place while it is being cut. This is a slow process but does such a nice job!