hs 40 motor id please

Had this motor kicking around. The id plate reveals hs40 55388c serial 20323. Can anyone tell me what it is or was from.
3/4 shaft tapped.
Thanks

capguncowboy

I think the 52388 series engines were used in early 70s. I know my 70 Rupp engine was 55282C. In 1972, Rupp used 55387C on their non-lighted bikes that used the HS40 -- I would think it was in the same timeframe.

Some pics would help pinpoint the year. How long is the crankshaft? Does it have a lighting coil?

Last edited:

capguncowboy

If it has a 3" crankshaft, it was originally a Rupp engine. That dates it as 1972. If it has a lighting coil, it likely came on a Rupp Roadster 2.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Welcome, fellow Canadian from Ontario

note my engine should be all black, I painted it grey. #55397c

Last edited:

markus

Didn't the MTD use the 3" PTO as well as the TC series Bonanzas?

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Pretty sure MTD was utilizing the longshaft, but I not sure if they used a ball bearing. Think Speedway used the longshafts too. It SHOULD have been a standard thing with a TC, but cheapskate Bird Manufacturing didn't bother with them on the TC angled engine bike I had that they made (jcpenney sold Digger).

And the 55388 was a number Rupp used, I checked my numbers and I had one on this Roadster2 I had 2 years ago (it had the optional Dell and open header on it and was a really nice runner!)

I am starting a rebuild on one of those too, Have to do a block replacement though.....bad cylinder bore so had to scrap the block :cursing:

Last edited:
That confirms it is a 1972 rupp motor. Now I need a roller to put it on. I think I have the drive system as well. The motor does have a bearing on the crank as well as an oil dipstick. Thanks for the help and great information.

bobbyk

Help Identify HS 40..

I have an HS 40 that I could definitely use some help identifying..
HS 40 552 908
0224-02527

Sorry I'm not sure how to upload photos from phone.