HS engines, crankshaft differences

markus

Someone PM'ed me recently asking about differences between the HS series/4hp and 5hp engines crankshafts so they could figure out what they had. Since I had a bunch of shafts out the other day I snapped some pics and felt this might be helpful to others.

First off the HS40's and 50's DO NOT share the same crankshaft! There is one tiny difference between them, interchanging would problaby turn your engine into a paint shaker :laugh:

Start with Tecumseh literature, Here are the specs of the HS40 and HS50 crankshafts. These are both 1980-older spec sheets so they are the small taper cranks that would be the ones you would find in the 70's era engines.

The difference is in the counterbalance/flyweights and there is additional material on the HS50 to compensate for the larger piston they use (I underlined those measurements in the photos above). All other measurements are actually the same between them. They Look nearly identical next to each other so you want to be careful that you don't mistake them. This held true post 1980 as well, they just bumped up the the taper and thread/nut size for the flywheels at that point.

you can see in this photo of some used and NOS ones I have that they can be easily mistaken for each other:

(Top-standard bushing sidecover crankshafts, bottom-Ball bearing sidecover shafts, all "small taper" pre 1981 versions)

A few things that can help if your just looking at a loose shaft that you forgot to mark as what it fits-not like I have never done that :anon.sml:

Early small taper HS40 shafts will have a pretty severe cut out on the output side of the rod journal side as compared to the the HS50. I have the ruler pointing to it in this photo:

This was done becuase in the first few years of HS40 production (1968-1970) they had a mechanical compression release camshaft. It had a huge intake lobe on it and they compensated with a shorter lifter so they had to clearance the crankshaft for it to fit.

Standard "BCR" (bump compression release) on the left-crosses between HS40 and 50 engines BTW . Early "MCR" (mechanical compression release) on the right-HS40 only till 1970

From what I have encountered, all replacement shafts for the HS40 (small taper) have them cut in regardless of production date. That of course would be so there is not an installation problem and not have to make 2 different shafts. They didn't have to put that deep of a cut in the HS50 shaft because the HS50 was not produced till 2 years after the end of the line for the MCR cam as HS50's didn't hit the streets till sometime in 1972.

And of course the best "tell" of all is to actually measure. A quick and dirty way I do it is simply doing this on the input side counter balance :thumbsup:

Have fun playing with your shafts....I know I do :laugh:

Last edited:

markus

No problem, Hopefully this will help someone down the line :thumbsup:

As stated above there was an increase in flywheel taper and flywheel nut size going into 1981. This is an important thing to note depending on what you are building or needing to replace. These are some older pictures that I had loaded up in the photos section years ago but still apply/get the job done in showing the difference between the 2

In the books they note the change starting 10-1-1980 in some advance parts listings, So its pretty safe to say that all HS by the end of 1981 date coded engines were using the larger taper shafts. Which means changes to flywheel, cup, screen, washer, and nut had to be made as well. None of which are noticeable on an assembled engine of that era so its important to verify that if you looking for donor engines.
Also note that once they went to the large taper Many of the common crankshafts were used till the end of the line, regardless of points or electronic ignition and shroud styles. HS40 crankshafts did start to cross with SOME later made H35/H40 engines and even seen in some OHH50. Some HS50 shafts made it into engines such as the LH and OH 195's and OH 55,60,70 but they still never crossed between the 2 HS version blocks and you really need to research what fits what. Usually a rundown of at least a few engines a certain crank came in will pop up on some vendors sites with common/still available shafts. That can help you figure out if you can maybe rob a shaft from another size engine.

Thread size: early "small taper" 7/16"x20
Later "large taper" 1/2"x20

Last edited:

cfh

How about a tecumseh HS40 crankshaft in a HS50 motor but with a billet connecting rod? Wouldn’t that make it rpm really fast and easy? Cfh

markus

How about a tecumseh HS40 crankshaft in a HS50 motor but with a billet connecting rod? Wouldn’t that make it rpm really fast and easy? Cfh
Try it and let us know. Should make for some good-good-good-good vibrations....the ladies might enjoy riding it :D