HS40 sidecover

Tearing down a HS40, cannot get the blasted sidecover off. It has popped loose from the case, but it is like it is stuck on the shaft, it won't slide off the shaft. Any tips? I have never had a problem pulling off a sidecover when working on briggs or OHV's, but this is the first tec sidecover I am pulling off, is there some kind of trick?

Some HS40's had a ball bearing side cover. It was retained with a snap ring (under the seal). Might want to check that if you have not removed the crank seal. Pretty easy to tell from the diameter of the crankshaft that sticks out of the cover.
Regards

This is an original Rupp engine from a '72 Hustler, not sure if that helps determine whether or not this is one with a snap ring or not. I will have to take a closer look.

Like Joe said. Odds are since it is a rupp good chance it has the bearing and you have to pull the seal to get the ring off. The seal on these is like 1 1/2" OD vs 1 1/4"

OK, sorry guys, further help needed. I have attached pictures of both sides of the case. It definitely feels like the crank is locked in place on both sides. I do not really see anything I can remove from the outside on either side. Unless I am just being dense, just say so if I am.

Yep-thats the bearing crank. First pic you can see the seal looks like it says 062R or something. REMOVE that seal-the c-clip retaining ring is behind it. Drill a small hole in it (the seal) and thread a metal screw into the hole and use some pliers or vise grips to grab the screw and pull the seal out. You will than need to remove the c-clip-cover will than come off-bearing stays in cover.

ATK, I know you are the man when it comes to tec's, but I am pretty sure that what you are referring to is actually part of the sidecover and not an oil seal. The reason why I say that is that I scratched on it and it is definitely metal where that lettering is. Also, there does not appear to be any crack or anything which would indicate that it is a separate piece that is press fit in there. Lastly, I have a blown version of the exact same engine and the crank is missing on that one. I looked at the sidecover on that one and it has this same look and it is part of the sidecover. It seriously will not budge at all. The crank will slide so that the sidecover some out a few mm's, but then it won't move at all. Getting frustrated. I don't want to pry or anything because I do not want to break anything on the case. Thoughts?

I PROMISE you that is a C/R seal and the retaining ring is behind it. C/R doesn't make that seal anymore you will need a Tecumseh 29540 when you put it back together. Take a 1/16" or 1/8" drill bit and drill right exactly where it is marked C/R. BE CAREFUL-as you said it IS metal BUT VERY THIN. A sharp drill bit will bust through pretty quick so DON'T push hard-be prepared to pull the drill BACK as soon as breaks through. Than just thread a like #10 or 12 drywall screw in it and pull the old seal out. REMEMBER there is a ball roller bearing behind it so don't get too rammy with the drill OR the screw. It won't take much-trust me.

BTW if you don't want to fool with it just send it to me and I will do it-no charge. Just trust me and go for it. I was just like you on the first one I did.

zeeman

I agree with the posts about there being a cir clip on it. You will need some clip pliers to remove it. It sorta takes three hands, but you can do it. Good luck.

ATK is the man. I trust you because I know that you do this stuff for a living, so I went for it and you were right on. Took a bit of force so I was getting nervous, but definitely popped out and now I see the ring, thanks guys. I really appreciate it.