I found a NOS 15 teeth Max-Torque

just frank

I was digging through my parts box and found a NOS 15 teeth clutch with a 3/4 shank. What kind of engine does it fit on? More teeth than I seen on other clutches... strange. Thank you.

just frank

Is it for sale? It is from 1980 I was told, still new never used... Reagan was president then , I was in grade school back then. But does anyone know if it can be used on a kart engine? I was told through the grape vine it "can't" be used on a kart engine like a McCulloch unless there is a jackshaft, or it will burn out the bearings on the engine. Is that true? From what I can tell the most common size is 12 or 15 teeth. The shaft is 3/4, I am confused.

The 3/4 inch hole in the center of your clutch should match the diameter of the output shaft on your engine. The number of teeth needed for a specific application will depend on the gear ratio desired for the terrain, tire size, rider weight, etc. a 15 tooth clutch is pretty big. The more teeth on the clutch the higher the top speed.

just frank

But will it burn out the bearings on the kart engine as that guy on the phone said? Does it need a jackshaft? Or is everything just fine as, I think.

10 tooth on the engine is common, some may run a 9 tooth, this is for sprint racing, enduro running they may use a 12 or 13 tooth, depending on the track layout. Post a picture so we can see what the guts of the clutch are. It may be a fun kart clutch, Max-Torque makes many types of clutches.

Ignore the posting just above, I don't why it repeated itself... As what you said, I'm not good at computers I don't know how at this time to show a photo... What happened was I am building a new McCulloch engine using new parts. I bought a new 49 crankshaft with a 3/4 shank and found out to my shock that it won't work on my go kart, I have to use a crankshaft that was for a kart engine. More money I don't have. That's what that was about.

Ignore the posting just above, I don't why it repeated itself... As what you said, I'm not good at computers I don't know how at this time to show a photo... What happened was I am building a new McCulloch engine using new parts. I bought a new 49 crankshaft with a 3/4 shank and found out to my shock that it won't work on my go kart, I have to use a crankshaft that was for a kart engine. More money I don't have. That's what that was about.
Why won't that crank work with your kart, the only thing limiting is you won't be able to go very small on the engine driven sprocket, you can put a larger axle sprocket on it to get your gearing. If it's a fun or yard kart then it doesn't matter.

That's good news to hear... I talk to many people, and they all have different opinions. A stock clutch has only 12 teeth... I also have one of those too. A guy on the phone said I must also have a jackshaft as well... Yet I see old karts from the early 60's and this is what I have , , they have a West Bend or a McCulloch and they use a regular 12 tooth clutch and no jackshaft of any kind. I don't know... Maybe I heard him wrong. I like to talk to people before I work on anything, it's easier that way and cheaper.

The 15 tooth clutch is useless on the McCulloch engine unless you are building an enduro kart (lay down kart) that is going on a LARGE track. Send me the clutch and I will make it into a useable clutch for the engine you have. Give me the exact length of the crankshaft. it should be 2" with a 3/8-24 fine thread drilled and tapped hole. I just want you to verify that because you will own a boat anchor if you give me bad measurements. What I will do is magically reduce the number of teeth from 15 to ten (10). The sleeve gets removed and you will jave a 2 piece clutch that has to be held in place with a bolt and washer. There is no bushing so you have to put some anti-seize on the crankshaft which I will send you. The cost will be $20 which covers the shipping back to you and the 10 tooth sprocket in the #35 chain size.
The only thing better than this is knowing the 6 numbers to Saturday's lotto. I will give you those on Monday next week.

Last edited:
Not bad, not bad at all... I WILL think about it... Give me time, right now I'm collecting information so that way I understand it and build it correctly. Whenever I rush into something I get into trouble. That's why I ask a lot of questions. Thank you for the offer, I need time...

Not bad, not bad at all... I WILL think about it... Give me time, right now I'm collecting information so that way I understand it and build it correctly. Whenever I rush into something I get into trouble. That's why I ask a lot of questions. Thank you for the offer, I need time...
What is there to "think about"!? You have received a very gracious offer from a very well known and respected clutch-building ICON...
Michael

Last edited:
No need to call me, just send the clutch. The drum and sprocket you have right now is useless on the McCulloch 49 because it has way to many teeth. It would like trying to start in fourth gear, yes you can do it a few times but then you burn up the clutch. I would put a 66 tooth to a 72 tooth on the rear sprocket, the more teeth the easier it is to get going. Try and stay locked up as long as you can. stop and go driving is very hard on any clutch and what ever you do don't ever drive a clutch vehicle in a parade. Parades are for torque converters, a clutch will not last the first block, you will anneal the spring and then you have direct drive where you have to stand on the brake all the time. Don't forget to measure the crankshaft and verify it is 2" long and the drilled and tapped hole is 3/8-24" . And also tell me if you plan on inboard mounting (sprocket next to crankcase) or outboard mount (sprocket by the bolt and washer). What difference does it make? So I send you the correct key length.
This site is for learning and it helps me with my spelling.

I just talked to Jim... Nice guy, nice guy... I will send the clutch to him right away! The problem is I'm not good at computers. I don't own a cell phone... He knows alot about clutches this information should be written before it's lost. I thank everyone!!!