I got an old Morris Mini!

Cool nothing wrong with a triumph they are great cars aswell. The minis are more practical with 4 seats though. I wouldnt have much use for a convertable either its always raining here lol but I heard they are better in most ways than an MG. Cant beat the smile factor of a mini thats for sure.
Yes, I like the Triumph, but have owned it for 15 years and might try something else just for the heck of it. I'm not ruling out a convertible, but we get lots of rain here, too. Plus, at my age I'm just not as much into the wind in the hair thing as I used to be. My biggest question at this point is how big of a project am I willing to take on. Since I have recently retired I have time to do some things.

Yup keep in mind if you tear it apart and quit then it wont be worth nearly as much. I suppose convertables are more tollerable when you can flip the top up and down in a minute or so like on my 914 its great its real quick job. But the tops on my jeeps are a nightmare its a whole day job to do the one on my cj5. I just pull the doors off and leave the top on in the summer and even then only on select days. Got caught in a nasty storm today actually and glad i had the doors on it. I know what your saying though. Its not all about the top. There is a good list of cars id like to own that happen to be convertables.

jeep, I've aways liked 914's, partly because of the functionality of the design, including the body. It looks like it has a low center of gravity. I suppose it handles great, and the steering must be light, even though not power assisted. The other Porches high on my list are the 904, 550 Spyder and the RSK. Beck does a beautiful replica of the 550. I keep toying with the idea of building a 550 replica, but I really have no real idea of what I might build. If I remember correctly, you mentioned "Porches". What other ones do you have?

Yes it is a good design. It has very light steering like the mini and mine even has wider wheels than stock. I kept the stock large steering wheel so im sure that helps. My other Porsche is a 82 911sc widebody. Im also a big fan of the 550 and 904. I think beck also has a 904 kit now. Someone on pelican built one.

Attachments

Yes it is a good design. It has very light steering like the mini and mine even has wider wheels than stock. I kept the stock large steering wheel so im sure that helps. My other Porsche is a 82 911sc widebody. Im also a big fan of the 550 and 904. I think beck also has a 904 kit now. Someone on pelican built one.
Thanks for posting the pics. That's the meanest 914 I've ever seen! Both cars look to be really fast. Ae there lots of winding backroads in your part of New York? You must have an incredible number of vehicles of one type or another.

Thanks for posting the pics. That's the meanest 914 I've ever seen! Both cars look to be really fast. Ae there lots of winding backroads in your part of New York? You must have an incredible number of vehicles of one type or another.
Thanks! alot of people are surprised when they see it that a 914 can look so good. its not fast it still has the original engine 1.7l. I wouldnt mind doing an engine swap someday but it runs good so its staying for now. Id prefer a porsche six cylinder like my 911 has but those dont grow on trees. The roads are alright but I go over the border into Pennsylvania for the good twisties. Alot of those roads are like a rollercoaster and more desolate. Less cars houses and cops.

Thanks! alot of people are surprised when they see it that a 914 can look so good. its not fast it still has the original engine 1.7l. I wouldnt mind doing an engine swap someday but it runs good so its staying for now. Id prefer a porsche six cylinder like my 911 has but those dont grow on trees. The roads are alright but I go over the border into Pennsylvania for the good twisties. Alot of those roads are like a rollercoaster and more desolate. Less cars houses and cops.
Yes, what with the tremendous increase in Porche 911 prices in the last few years a 911 engine must be pretty expensive. Did the 914 have the flairs when you got it?

Yeah I got my 911 back in 06 when the market was just about bottomed out. Kinda wish I would have found a 930 Turbo because they were 25-30k back then but couldnt find one locally. They would be much more expensive to maintain and kinda too valuable to drive regularly now anyway. My 911 is pretty cheap to own. Insurance is nothing and it rarely ever needs parts. Nowadays just the engine would cost more than i paid for the whole car. The 914 was an absolute basketcase It was folding in half and in two floods. The wheels and fender flares were the most expensive part of the restoration but I think it needed them. heres a little video I made on it
https://youtu.be/VHAKff3oGQ0

Yeah I got my 911 back in 06 when the market was just about bottomed out. Kinda wish I would have found a 930 Turbo because they were 25-30k back then but couldnt find one locally. They would be much more expensive to maintain and kinda too valuable to drive regularly now anyway. My 911 is pretty cheap to own. Insurance is nothing and it rarely ever needs parts. Nowadays just the engine would cost more than i paid for the whole car. The 914 was an absolute basketcase It was folding in half and in two floods. The wheels and fender flares were the most expensive part of the restoration but I think it needed them. heres a little video I made on it
https://youtu.be/VHAKff3oGQ0
I can't believe how far gone the 914 was! You are amazing.

Your the best thing that ever happened to that poor car
We went to buy the beetle and on the way home we spotted the 914. Knocked on the door and offered $200. The lady only sold it to us because we were the only ones who made an offer that didnt want to scrap it. There arnt many people who would have fixed the car thats for sure.