ID Gods, give your best answer

Yeah Andy, I was just looking at that one in the photos section. How the hell do you hit the scrub brake? With your heel?
It was originally bought for my daughter but she cut her teeth on a DB with a hand brake and hated the scrub brake. It's a bit tricky to get used to and does not stop well once you have so it's getting some tri-stars with an Azusa drum sprocket and backing plate as well as a 3.5 briggs when I get around to it. I'm gonna carefully grind the scrub brake assembly off and save it or sell it. I decided I'll likely only restore one minibike ever and the wren aint it so I might as well make a rider out of it. $90 is a fair price for the one you're looking at IMO :thumbsup:

Ok, So I went to look at it. My first impulse was to turn around and drive back home. But I felt sorry for the owner AND the bike. It would never run in the hands of the 15yr old and his father. They said they couldn't even find throttle grip for it (it's 1"). Guess they tried Northern and stopped there. They continued on to tell me that "once you start it up, you have about 4 seconds to get on before it starts to take off".:doah: I guess once they ran out of space to drive continuously at 12 mph without brakes they would just reach down and slide the lever to 'Off'. Anyways here are more pics of it. It looks like it will fit a briggs 5HP just fine. Maybe now I can find a home for the HL239 that has been haunting my garage for the past few months.

Oh yeah, somethings definitely not right with the rear wheel. It's way offset to the right. Andy, if you come back to this thread, can you verify that this is not the original wheel/sprocket set-up? What wheels are original to this bike?

Here's a pic of my Sears runabout (same bike no fender mounts) ... Looks to be offset ... Maybe not as much as yours ... My bike is an all original roller so it should be correct ... Your wheel/sprocket looks different (bolt on sprocket) but could be correct ... Also ... I tried mounting a 5hp Briggs with the factory tank set-up and it hit the back tire ... What are your plans ... That's a small bike like the Manco ... If you hotrod this one up ... Well ... You know ... Don't ride in flip flops :laugh:

Last edited:
Well I'll be damned. Why the hell would they offset the wheel like that?:shrug:

I won't be going with the stock tank/carb. I've already done some testing with that tillotson on the briggs I have and it fires right up. Therefore, will be doing some kind of external tank. As small as it is, it has a lot of room on the frame in front of the seat for something small.
And as far as hotrodding it, i learned my lesson with the 9hp Manco! Hopefully the 5HP won't buck me off. It came with a 2HP briggs that felt like feathers for compression. I salvaged the shroud and coil. Everything else will go to scrap.

That frame is bent I think but the offset is present on mine as well. They have one piece welded sprocket wheels and are just way over as is the engine plate, I'm changing my wheels and will center the tri-stars even If I have to outboard the clutch. Like I said the frame looks bent on the side opposite the sprocket to me. I'd pass on it if you're looking for one to flip but since you own it now you'll have to tackle it, it'll take some work to get it straight if it's bent but I cant see it that well.:thumbsup:

I've had two other wrens and they were offset as well, it's not well engineered in that aspect but they ride OK, the one we have has a 2hp and is original but it's gotta be improved to justify keeping it and like I said the brake is just no good. I'll make a fine rider from mine but it's as straight and rust free as they come.

Last edited:
With the correct wheel/sprocket it will center up more ... The gap between the tire and sprocket on mine is a lot smaller ...I assume it is a 5" ?? ... I also don't think the frame is bent ... The rear fender tab is just too nice looking

With the correct wheel/sprocket it will center up more ... The gap between the tire and sprocket on mine is a lot smaller ...I assume it is a 5" ?? ... I also don't think the frame is bent ... The rear fender tab is just too nice looking
You may be right but look below the mount, it takes a left and he's got the correct wheel on it. The tube is too close to the tire and since they have no spacers and the axle tabs are bent flat stock I believe I'm right but I wont swear it because I cant see it that well. Regardless it's fixable and will make a good rider!:thumbsup:

I stand corrected, he does not have the correct wheel but the frame looks as if it bent due to this fact. I'd sell him a wheel but mine are not in such good shape, someone bent the lip changing tires front and rear. You called it right Rockwall on the wheel and it may spring back once removed but it seems bent still!:thumbsup: