Info needed please

Found this at the Pate swap meet in Texas this year. Bought it because it had the metal tank I needed for the Roma Nova that I am working on. Could someone tell me who made this for Penney's? Chain guard looks a little rough around the edges, home made? Is the disc brake correct? Bracket looks to be factory, but I have looked around and couldn't find a pic of a Penney bike that had this setup. I loaded some pics but not sure if they are going to attach or not. Thanks, D

Attachments

markus

Very cool to see the disc brake, those were only used for a couple of months, they probably stop terrible but that was the first version of that bike

This pic is noted as being from spring/summer 1969 catalog, the one capgun posted was fall/winter 1969 and you can see they quickly ditched the disc brake on the Bird made bikes

(both photos courtesy of member 1stlegendtx)

I just scored your engine's twin on ebay this weekend, bit unusual as it's a Ball bearing crankshaft 3.5hp :thumbsup: one I got is a 1977 from Sears, off some yard vacuum or something.

And just for fun, Playboy playmate Heather VanEvery from her playboy photo shoot in 1970 on a disc brake version :drool:

Last edited:
Sadly my bike didn't have one of her with it.:sad: D

Good info, thanks Marcus. I wonder if someone added the extra metal to the seat area. Seat on mine is not flat like the one in the pic, but could have been changed also as it is in not to bad of shape. I haven't had it running yet but the brake seems to suck at best. I have also been thinking about just selling it as is as I am working on my car and really don't have the time to work on the bike right now. D

Last edited: