*%#@ing gas cans!

is anyone as fed up as me with what has happened to gas cans over the last number of years?
I swear it takes like three hands to operate them, and an hour to empty a gallon.
I usually end up with more gas on my hands, pants and shoes than I ever get into the tank I'm trying to fill.

Of course we can't go back to the old style with a spout, and a second hole for a breather.
I wonder what dumbass blew himself up or what to cause all these changes?
I know we don't want any fumes to escape into the atmosphere, and some numb nutted idiot came up with the idea of putting the breather in the spout. Brilliant! He probably got a raise and a promotion for it.
Never mind all the gas evaporating from my clothes and the ground.

I have at least 5 of these freakin' things, and not one nozzle or cap is interchangeable with another.
They all have a zillion safety mechanisms on them, and it's like they don't want you to get the gas out. They're like a Chinese puzzle box or something.
The children of the future would all probably die out if they did this with a milk carton.

I finally got PO'd, grabbed a gas can, found a manufacturer on it, and wrote them an email. I wrote them an earful of the stupidity of their screwed up gas cans. They are located in Canada.

Customer service got back to me, and told me this was the only style they were allowed to export to the USA.

So how about it? Any Kanuks on this board? Do you guys really have all the functional gas cans?
If so, what would it take to smuggle a pallet of them here?
Anyone want to go in on semi full of these things and take a risk at making a fortune?

Dammmmmm, I hate these things.

I just use a funnel and pour straight out the can. Problem solved. I'm in Cali too.
Me too, but even then sometimes it still takes almost three hands. You have to hold the funnel, and you pretty much need both hands to hold a five gallon can due to the asinine design, and lack of properly placed handles.

WLB

There are several videos on utube showing how to "improve" the design. Old Taoist saying, "As the government becomes more repressive, the people become more clever."

When I just moved I gave away 3 of the old 5 gallon plastic fuel cans. But I kept a pair of 2 gallon ones. The gas stations don't care what you bring in as long as its RED

You can drill a hole in them and put a tire valve stem in it with the core removed for a vent. Most of mine are like this anyways because the factory cap on them seems to always break off the tether and goes somewhere. At least if I loose the valve cap I can easy replace it.

As for the pouring spout I only buy old ones without the safety junk or make sure I can modify any new ones to remove the crap.

Last edited:
I agree. The new "Politically Correct" gas cans suck. Some of them work better than others. The idea with them is that they capture the fumes from the fuel. Does this work? Nah.

You can get regular "non politically correct" gas cans on ebay. Have a look, plenty to choose from. One thing, if you see a "hook" on the end of the spout this is a vapor recovery type. They also sell replacement spouts that might just work on your can.

- Bee

Harquebus

I also addressed the -quality gas can issue- recently (who else besides me wastes time thinking about this?) and decided on a VP Racing fuel jug; the square one, 5 gallons, red.

I'm impressed. I have an old 5 gallon Igloo Jerry Jug that when filled seems way heavier and a pain to tote around because it's too wide and you can't carry it by your side without hitting your leg. This VP jug hangs right by your side and is ergonomic to hold as the handle is angled. Also I find it funny that the details are exaggeratedly large--thick handle, large vent knob and the cap is the size of a coffee cup. The large cap also means a large spout and you can easily see the fuel level as you're filling it. Some suggest getting the white color because it's translucent and you can see the fuel level and use the molded-on gauge better but I got red because I wanted to pretend I was EPA compliant and wanted no trouble when filling up.

Got the deluxe hose--it's extra, not included. Definitely not Mickey Mouse.

VP_Square.jpg