Interesting find on Ebay (Turbo)

65ShelbyClone

It's a poor attempt at a low cost DIY centrifugal supercharger. Turbo compressors can be used to make one, but there has to be some way to seriously overdrive it in relation to engine speed. The compressor in the auction looks like a small trim T3. That means that the compressor likely needs to spin at least 90,000+rpm to do anything worthwhile. If the engine turns 7000rpm, that's a 13:1 overdrive!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....like that gear is way too big. If they were to use a smaller gear, not much larger than the shaft with a larger gear 20:1, then he might have something! Suprisingly no one has bid on it yet! haha

65ShelbyClone

Where will the insanity end?!

Yeah, maybe I should just push my conscience and integrity aside so I can make a buck selling bogus junk to morons on auction sites. Really, it's hard not to sometimes.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would be easy to find junk turbos with a busted exhaust turbine.....hook up a starter motor($11) from the junkyard and away you go! Just out of curiosity, wouldnt the blades of the compressor hit the casing with that set-up? I have not really looked at the internals of a turbo recently, but I thought the purpose of the cartridge and shaft was for perfect alignment.

65ShelbyClone

$290.......wonder where the ceiling will be....

I have some pics somewhere of a real electric blower. It was something like an Eaton M45 with three big DC motors on it. Not sure if that's a Super-Pac or not.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Yeah, that's the one.

Just out of curiosity, wouldnt the blades of the compressor hit the casing with that set-up? I have not really looked at the internals of a turbo recently, but I thought the purpose of the cartridge and shaft was for perfect alignment.
Some angular contact bearings and alignment shoulders would keep the shaft and compressor from moving around. AFAIK, the ball-bearing Garretts use a similar bearing cartridge. Common journal bearing turbos have a thrust bearing assembly that's separate from the shaft bearings.

65ShelbyClone

Man, that's a relic.

I actually have a Rootes type industrial blower laying around here, but it's all rusty and locked up. It has big 3"-NPT bungs on it and is all cast iron.

The DIY turbo-turned-centrifugal-blower has actually been done with some degree of professionalism....

I did find a Super-Pac on ebay. I am guessing the theory of how it work is that it is not using a super high rpm motor, but using a gigantic compressor wheel. The one ebay is worthless, because it is missing the control unit, which I think is also is a power inverter.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=120160152404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002
I just found the brochure for that Superpac supercharger. If anyone is interested I can scan it in. The one on ebay sold for $350 which isnt too bad if it is a DC motor and can run off 12V. However I think it may be an AC motor. In that case you would have buy an inverter. If you used a variable speed control, you would have to buy an expensive pure sine wave inverter. However, for small engines this may actually work pretty good. Just make sure to put your battery on the charger every night!