Interesting find on Ebay (Turbo)

I think I might try to create my own "homemade" electric supercharger...what do you guys think? I think as long as I can get the turbo to spin fast enough to get it into the efficiency islands, it should be feasible. Even if its a complete disaster, I am sure I can make a huge profit off ebay! HAHAHA

That's along the lines of some blowers MDB has mentioned. The sucky part is that I just saw an RHB3 turbo for $100 less. :eek:ut:
Nice tag line....believe or not I share the same name as the person who sang that song..... I think I may have found a small turbo perfectly suited to small engines at a reasonable price.... Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Nice tag line....believe or not I share the same name as the person who sang that song..... I think I may have found a small turbo perfectly suited to small engines at a reasonable price.... Perhaps I should start a new thread?
So it's "jimijustjuiceit?" :wink: :biggrin: I was listening to Purple Haze and thought that quote would be nice for sportin' around the forum for a while. I'm going to do something different for the Jim Morrison avatar, though. Maybe something animated this time around.

You found a turbo, huh? :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Auto smog pumps are way cheaper ($10? free?), and don't suffer turbolag, which will be significant on a one-lunger...

I see supercharging our flatties as incrementally increasing the CR and making up for the significant flow loses thru the carb, ports, valves and head...and just an interesting project.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Lag is mostly a product of turbo sizing. A properly sized hairdryer will have low turbine drive pressures and good response. The problem is finding one small enough for these little one-poppers. Rumors and speculation suggest that the strong "thump thump" exhaust pulse of a single shortens the life of a turbo. I doubt any of the people saying that have any experience nor know anyone who does, though.

Smog pumps are effective enough, but not very durable pumping positive pressure at high rpm. I have one from an '80s Toyota pickup I built an overdrive v-belt pulley for, but I never got around to using it.....not yet, anyway.

And now for some worthless yet relevant trivia: Did you know that O.S. manufactured a 1.2ci 4-stroke model plane engine with a Rootes blower?

Last edited:
Whats funny, is I vaguely remember seeing that supercharged model plane engine, and I was like dang, you can put a blower on anything! Heck, Toyota put one on a mini-van for crying out loud!

Back to the topic at hand. I found a perfect turbo for my motorcycle according to some rough calculations based off the compressor map. I think it may be small enough for some built up flatties or OHVs. This turbocharger starts the efficiency islands at 0.005 m^3/s and about 87K rpms. This thing can spool up to 284K rpms! The cool thing is that you can find them for under $80 sometimes.

65ShelbyClone

.005 m^3, or 0.05? .005 cubic meters per second is only about 10.6cfm or roughly enough for 7hp. Some KKKs reach nearly that low, but still not low enough. Now I'm curious....

I almost forgot.....how's this strike ya?

.005 m^3, or 0.05? .005 cubic meters per second is only about 10.6cfm or roughly enough for 7hp. Some KKKs reach nearly that low, but still not low enough. Now I'm curious....

I almost forgot.....how's this strike ya?

QUOTE]

Being an engineer, I was correct with the units of measurement first stated (0.005 m^3/s)! :thumbsup:

I have one word for those pics.... SWEET! :smile: