issues in cold temperature.

hey everyone, so in jersey today we got our first real snow fall so I figured id take my mini bike out. I had just finished a fresh predator swap on it and was excited to ride it even with it being under 20 degrees! at first it was going well no issues but maybe 30 mins later I was coming down a straight away and I lost all throttle control. at first I thought it was my clutch getting hot. but after inspection clutch was fine. so I proceeded to check throttle linkage and the governor linkage. both checked out. so I decided to go inside and warm up before I dug deeper into it. so I go back outside an hour or so later decide to start it and the problem disappeared. is it possible for the springs or linkages to freeze up? thanks in advance!

That's exactly what it was. The engine heat thawed it while you went inside. Luckily you weren't wide open and didn't get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also might be that the carb iced. There is a pressure drop across the throttle plate, and another one across the venturi for the main jet. If all the linkages appeared to move freely, that is what I would suspect.
Joe

Thanks joebio. Yea it appeared i had throttle control. The engine just seemed not to respond. But once it thawed it responded fine.

I agree with Joebio....carb throat icing. Piston engine airplanes have to have a carb heater to prevent just that problem. Atmospheric pressur, combined with temp and moisture content causes the "phenomenon" to occur under certain conditions. I suspect you saw those conditions during your ride, thus loss of throttle control. Loss of power too, right?

Roger