john deere garden tractor

delray

well guys, i pickup my first john deere tractor yesterday morning and really like this old tractor.
i have been doing some searching already on this and been finding just about everything for this tractor to restore it someday. if any you guys are into john deere's where are the best web sites for parts for this......:thumbsup:

optional electric lift.....:thumbsup:

Big kohler 12hp engine.

Last edited:
I've owned a few JDs and don't get the cult following for them personally but there is one and that makes parts available. Unfortunately it also often makes them expensive. Its a universal site but I used to hang out over on mytractorforum.com. They have different sections for different size tractors and subforums for popular makes. I normally hang out near the ford n and powermaster series section.

Good luck and let me know about the restoration. I cut my teeth working on old mowers and have a soft spot for them (any make).

Last edited:

delray

yes neo71665, i have been at that web site couple times. good web site to go at.......:thumbsup:

well it didn't take long to find a 46" deck. my 212 came with the 38" from what i have seen so far this model tractor came only with a 38" or" 46 deck?

years ago i built my own rear rack for my truck/blazer/tahoe. well in wisconsin we also call it a deer rack.
you could kind of say i finally got a deere on my rack......:laugh:

Thats a pretty clean deck. Around here stamped steel decks only last about 5 years before they are rotted out. Doesn't look like any the normal brackets have been busted off and repaired by ray charles.

That was back when they were real garden tractors.If you treat that one good ,it will be a work horse for years to come.Not like all the cheap ones being sold under every store are all the same,built by MTD.That one was made by J D.I like it.

MB165

ahh the Tecumseh granny gear transmission and a variator drive system. try your local dealer or ebay for parts. its surprising how much is still available for them... I remember replacing a lot of motor mounts in those particular models.

delray

yes MB165, i notes right away one of my motor mounts was replace. from what i have been told by couple john deere guys that was common to replace the stock mounts and the replacement ones hold up better.

that's in nice shape. we have an old sears suburban -- the grandkids love to ride it (without the mower deck of course)

Last edited:

delray

rollin2
Not like all the cheap ones being sold under every store are all the same,built by MTD.That one was made by J D.I like it.

maybe someday my JD will be pulling my white garden tractor around.......:thumbsup:

delray

well guys, i have been doing alot of fixing things on my JD over the late summer and fall. tractor sat outside for two years with the battery in it and still took a charge. found out that one of the valves was stuck open and the head gasket bolts where loss. the first problem was why it would not turn over. chase the wires and found the PTO switch was bad. both back tires where flat and had cracks on the side walls. installed set of tubes for $28 buck ship to my door. that was cheaper then replacing the tires and the treads on the tires still looked real good. until i decide to restore it someday. the old tires will work for now..:thumbsup: also end up replacing carb gasket/manifold,bowl gasket. had to clean out the fuel line to the tank and then replace the shut off valve because the screen was totally plug shut and the valve on it wound not open or close.

also installed a new gas cap with the gauge built into it......:thumbsup:

yes neo71665, i have been at that web site couple times. good web site to go at.......:thumbsup:

well it didn't take long to find a 46" deck. my 212 came with the 38" from what i have seen so far this model tractor came only with a 38" or" 46 deck?

years ago i built my own rear rack for my truck/blazer/tahoe. well in wisconsin we also call it a deer rack.
you could kind of say i finally got a deere on my rack......:laugh:
Never mind..... I spoke to soon........ :anon.sml:

Last edited:

delray

originally this was something for fun to do and too see how well my 212 would perform behind a real snowblower unit and was in no big hurry to get it done. then it started to look like we where in for a heavy snow fall year with 3 different snow falls before christmas. most of the time we don't get big snow falls before that. but this year we started to get it. so i started to work hard on it and now finish it..:thumbsup: now next week we are going to have mix/rain:doah: and it did it early this week too:doah: starting really look like a weird winter:eek:ut:

snowblower i purchase for the project was a 40" berco unit. i found it on craigslist in upper MI for only $150 with all the brackets and the wheel weights and from the prices i have seen in the past for a berco snowblower new units and use are not cheap. unit was mounted on a husqvarna tractor. good thing i have a friend that travels up there sometimes and he was going that weekend i seen it for sale.....:thumbsup:

part of the bracket mount is set up for quick release. that part was easy to fab. just some bolts and had to make a spacer tube on my lathe for both sides.

quick release unit

spacer tubing

bolted up

big challenge was trying to fab a drive system from a horizontal shaft engine/pto to a vertical belt driven snowblower unit.
the original snowblower unit for this tractor use the outside pulley on the pto unit and the unit was called a snowthrower because it was only a 38" single stage unit. there was no way that i was going to use that pulley to run my berco 2 stage unit. that pulley was made for the belt to go straight out to the front of the tractor. what i did was use the inner pulley that runs the deck..:thumbsup:

then just fab up a bracket that would mount under the frame of the tractor and use part of the original pulleys that ran the berco snowblower.

delray

here is a picture of what i had to work with for shoes.

i cut the shoes in half and then bolted them up to the blower unit. at that point i needed to add 1inch of steel.
took them back off and welded the piece in.:weld:

delray

welded piece of flat steel on top of a homemade bracket that was bolted up to the tractor when i purchase it and then use my weights that i made for my other tractor(white). weights where about 45 pounds a piece and are full of concrete.
also my chains still work on my john deere.:thumbsup:

delray

i converted the rear reflectors also into lights. the light switch is setup so up will turn the headlights and tail lights on and center is off and down is lights on with the rear lights i wired in a relay flasher so they go on and off. snowblowing out in the street at night time.:thumbsup:

fab up a small bracket to hold the chute turner.

Last edited: