just got an H50 for my hilltopper

JKautoFab

as i understand it my heathkit hilltopper came with a tec HS50 which is a small block

after reading a few threads about the differences between the H50 and the HS50, i have gathered the following:

the HS50 is a smaller block with a bigger bore, and the H50 opposite

the h50 had more aftermarket parts (altho im guessing hard to find now) and more hp capability due to larger sturdier block

the h50 has more torque stock than the HS50.

but most importantly, i scored it for a measley 4 dollars. it was at a junk mans house sitting there in the open on an old rusty paint can like it was waiting for me to pick up. i did my best to ignore it till i asked about tec and he pointed to it. the pull rope revealed compression and i didnt even check the oil till i got it home but it looks like someone had maybe changed it recently.

the bad... no air cleaner, exhaust, and im pretty sure thats a one inch shaft.. exhaust and filter are easy but i either need a new crank or have this one turned down. i was hoping to not have to pull it apart but i doubt im going to come across another engine this easily.

oh also, what about a lighting coil for this engine? is it special? hard to find? anyone got one? i need lights!

oldfatguy

two features that would be nice to have are a steel lined bore and a ball bearing crank. some h series engines came with one or both. I have an h60 and to me the big block h engines run better and sound better than the hs engines. That was a great score for 4 bucks.:thumbsup:

JKautoFab

thank you bubbles you are correct! lol i was looking at too many pics and got confused but now i do see, it is an H50 not an HS.

anyone got a lighting coil for me? :shrug::confused: