Just picked up an hs40

markus

So what engine would this bike have come with ?
stateside versions of that bike sold by eastern enterprises were sold with a 3hp, or as a roller only, many other companies did the same with them. I have only seen adds with complete bikes from Keystone. Somewhere I think I have an add with the round number plate from keystone, but I cant find it offhand to verify what it had for HP. the add I have with the integral square forkplate (same bike different year) lists it has having a 3.5hp through Eatons. Those bikes were Taiwanese imports and the engines were fitted by the Company that purchased them usually.

an HS40 is externally the same size/shape with only difference of exhaust placement so if your block didn't get damaged during the bending of the valves and you can salvage, It would be a good fit other than having a slightly older look than a 1971/72 version engine would have had.

Wouldn't that leave some "forensic evidence" Iike scratched block or messed up plug threads?

OOOHHHH wait! Clothes line or soft rope in the cylinder, through the plug hole, and a big long breaker bar on the flywheel nut might do that.
Good thought!! I agree, and without any marks on the valve, had to be the old rope trick.

Would it be worth it to port the block on this engine? I notice the ports around the valves are horribly cast with lots of sharp angles etc.

Is it normal for these engines to have the compression release on the intake cam not the exhaust? I thought they always used the exhaust to release compression for easier starting?

markus

Is it normal for these engines to have the compression release on the intake cam not the exhaust? I thought they always used the exhaust to release compression for easier starting?
On the HS40 it was, October 1967 through 1970. It was due to the placement of the intake nearest the cam gear. So the mechanical release could be used. Into 1971 they dropped the MCR cam and only offered a BCR (bump compression release) on the exhaust lobe.

On the HS40 it was, October 1967 through 1970. It was due to the placement of the intake nearest the cam gear. So the mechanical release could be used. Into 1971 they dropped the MCR cam and only offered a BCR (bump compression release) on the exhaust lobe.
Ok so this engine is definitely an early 1970 engine