Kick Starter

I know another company that made kick starts is "Fairbanks-Morse" still in business making yacht engines this time...thats a big extreme!

delray

hey Backyard Builder,how big was that briggs motor? it looks to be a big cubic inch motor. kick start looks to be a simple design,cool. i would think a kick start on a 3or4hp motor couldn't kick back to bad?
also i see that design would only work on a briggs. tecumseh does not use the center piece with the ball bearings set up. but that could be fab on a tecumseh?
maybe you could fab that up on your 2hp motor. i like to try that design someday on a 3hp briggs.:thumbsup:
:scooter:..........................

hey Backyard Builder,how big was that briggs motor? it looks to be a big cubic inch motor. kick start looks to be a simple design,cool. i would think a kick start on a 3or4hp motor couldn't kick back to bad?
also i see that design would only work on a briggs. tecumseh does not use the center piece with the ball bearings set up. but that could be fab on a tecumseh?
maybe you could fab that up on your 2hp motor. i like to try that design someday on a 3hp briggs.:thumbsup:
:scooter:..........................

Yeah it's a 319cc 8hp flathead. This thing was hard to start even with a recoil starter (I suspect the easy spin was worn out, which did not help). The kickstart actually worked, but it was too dangerous. The day it decided to kick back, I could not walk straight for several hours because the pain was so bad. I guess a smaller engine, like a 2 or 3hp would not be able to kick back so bad, but I still advice extreme caution to anyone who would like to try it.

The design it pretty simple though. A piece of 1x1 square tube fits right over the Briggs starter clutch. I still have that contraption somewhere if someone wants more detailled pics.