Knife / Pistol

Oldsalt

Visited a friend today and took some pictures of his current knife project. See attachments. The muzzle loader is about 36 cal. Every part includeing springs are hand made. He also designed it and made the demascus steel for the blade. Makes me feel inadaquate.

Last edited:
Does he have a power hammer?

If he doesn't, and is making those blades by hand-hammering, don't ever piss him off...he's probably got an unbelievably strong hammer-like sucker punch.

Nice work...I really enjoy seeing stuff like this...I like blacksmithing, especially making knives from old garage sale hand files, so I can appreciate the amount of work (and skill) that goes into hand-making a blade...

Oldsalt

Does he have a power hammer?

If he doesn't, and is making those blades by hand-hammering, don't ever piss him off...he's probably got an unbelievably strong hammer-like sucker punch.

Nice work...I really enjoy seeing stuff like this...I like blacksmithing, especially making knives from old garage sale hand files, so I can appreciate the amount of work (and skill) that goes into hand-making a blade...
He really is a rather robust fella. To make the demascus he uses a hydraulic ram set-up and special fixtures to get layer patterns of various types in the knife blades and etc. To contour some of the parts on this latest pistol he produced a special end mill. The guy is scarry.

Minibikes are definitely my foremost and favorite hobby, but artistic blacksmithing rates a pretty close second...

I've seen some beautiful folding patterns done to damascus...extremely intricate shapes hammer-welded together with precise blows, so as not to disturb the intended line layers...

I wish I had the patience for it...I heat metal in hot coals and beat the bejesus out of it because I don't have the patience for truly intricate things...