kohlers.....not used in mini's very often?

Why isnt there a section for kohler motors? Are they generally not used for mini's? i just bought a brand new 7hp comman pro single for an old snow mobile project i have going. are there any places offering header pipes for these motors?
i have kohlers in a few tractors and they have been awesom reliable engines for me. I dont read much about them in the mini world though. reasons? thoughts? in my opinion all the companys put out good motors these days. i just like kohlers for my own reasons. does replacemant parts costs keep the kohlers out of bikes?

KB2ROCKET

Minis are disposable toys and kohlers are high priced quality dependable work machines .
It's all about money if minis cost alot they wouldn't make as much profit

zeeman

I have a couple of Kohler 7 hp's. They are heavy, and that is one reason they are not used much. Mine is an early 70's model, and it is used hard every year in my garden. It's on another very sturdy machine, a Troybilt Horse.

Motra

Kohlers are great engines! I'm getting one ready to use in a minibike, it's a CH6 OHV. I think the reason you don't see too many used in minis is that there are just so damn many Briggs and Tekes out there and the new clones are so cheap. Also, a lot of the older Kohlers are BIG cast iron engines and the newer ones are overshadowed by clones in the mini world.

motra........you running that motor with or woithout a governor? would you mind putting up some pictures of your throttle linkage setup? My motor is still in the box it came sent in. I havent even begun to try and figure out the throttle stuff yet. any ideas? i love kohler motors. i have another in a '66 wheelhorse tractor. Awesome engines!

Motra

I'm keeping the governor. Mine is probably different than yours, it an older American made model. As far as the throttle set-up, yours is probably pretty close to the clones that so many here use. If you could post pictures of what you have I'm sure you'll get a bunch of pointers. Simply put, the speed control lever, you know, the one with the turtle and rabbit, needs to be loosened so it moves freely. Then you need a spring pulling it to the slow speed position and a throttle cable pulling it to the high speed position. Some engines already have a spring that is adequate but it doesn't hurt to add another if you can, a throttle stuck wide open isn't much fun. If you're keeping the governor then only use the existing speed control for throttle, don't try to modify the linkage.

65ShelbyClone

In short, Kohlers are big, heavy, and expensive. Minibikes are none of those. Aftermarket parts are limited to what is available for the K-series that pullers use and any residual parts left over from the XKE kart engine project.

They are great engines; far better than Briggs or Tecumseh IMO...and that's why they're big, heavy, and expensive.

thanks for all the feedback fellas.

motra......i guess you answered my questions! so basically i can use that stock throttle lever some how if its lossened and i add some springs and cabels. sweet.:thumbsup:

I'm keeping the governor. Mine is probably different than yours, it an older American made model. As far as the throttle set-up, yours is probably pretty close to the clones that so many here use. If you could post pictures of what you have I'm sure you'll get a bunch of pointers. Simply put, the speed control lever, you know, the one with the turtle and rabbit, needs to be loosened so it moves freely. Then you need a spring pulling it to the slow speed position and a throttle cable pulling it to the high speed position. Some engines already have a spring that is adequate but it doesn't hurt to add another if you can, a throttle stuck wide open isn't much fun. If you're keeping the governor then only use the existing speed control for throttle, don't try to modify the linkage.
Hey Motra did your head tonight

Last edited:
Kohler makes a power command 6hp ohv and they have been used in Kart racing. I nearly got one for my DB but the price was not right. A damn good engine, I have a 20hp off a generator and am considering using it for an old tractor. Fuel pump and electric start with a big multi bolt pattern flywheel, I gotta try.