L.A Drag Spot.

so rpm is relative to distance and weight, and the mods done to your motor to handle said rpm gain. so i always thought a stall was relative to the distance your running and weight of the rider. the lighter the rider the less stall you need no?

for example my brothers bike runs a 4200 stall, idk the gearing but i've hit 8100 rpm in the 1/4 at like 79 mph. so what would happen if we were to raise the stall?

so rpm is relative to distance and weight, and the mods done to your motor to handle said rpm gain. so i always thought a stall was relative to the distance your running and weight of the rider. the lighter the rider the less stall you need no?

for example my brothers bike runs a 4200 stall, idk the gearing but i've hit 8100 rpm in the 1/4 at like 79 mph. so what would happen if we were to raise the stall?
Stall is what rpm your clutch locks up, has nothing to do with distance, and yes, a lighter rider, would mean a total lower package weight, so you could lower it, but if the rider can handle the launch, leave it be, HA on my bike, would turn 9300+, same set up with charles would turn 8600rpm

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
So here is the list of newbies, and people who have yet to understand. Goose, Supafly, and Solo.

I will try to explain it for the last time.

The race is 660 feet, 1/8 mile
Your motor can turn a MAX of 9000 RPM with a 200 pound rider.
Your motor only has time to turn 4100 RPM in the 660 feet.
You start off with the wrong stall at 4500 RPM.
The motor only has time to turn 8600 in the 660 feet distance. BUT you notice your motor was STILL PULLING!!!!

So you now raise your stall to 5000 RPM
Now the motor has enough time to MAX OUT on RPM turning 9000 RPM 20-30 feet before the finish line.

You have just FINE TUNED YOUR COMBO. You have gained MPH, RPM, and a quicker E.T.

Now, you can maybe understand, Goose, Solo, and Supafly.

Raising the stall helped you gain. Because your combo wasn't tuned correctly to begin with. You still CANNOT go past 9000 RPM max unless you change your gearing, motor mods, or lighter rider. FIRST you must reach your MAX. Solo NEVER reached his max, so he was still gaining speed and RPM.

Read this over and over, try to understand that I just took time out of my day to teach you guys. Any more I have to start charging.

So here is the list of newbies, and people who have yet to understand. Goose, Supafly, and Solo.

I will try to explain it for the last time.

The race is 660 feet, 1/8 mile
Your motor can turn a MAX of 9000 RPM with a 200 pound rider.
Your motor only has time to turn 4100 RPM in the 660 feet.
You start off with the wrong stall at 4500 RPM.
The motor only has time to turn 8600 in the 660 feet distance. BUT you notice your motor was STILL PULLING!!!!

So you now raise your stall to 5000 RPM
Now the motor has enough time to MAX OUT on RPM turning 9000 RPM 20-30 feet before the finish line.

You have just FINE TUNED YOUR COMBO. You have gained MPH, RPM, and a quicker E.T.

Now, you can maybe understand, Goose, Solo, and Supafly.

Raising the stall helped you gain. Because your combo wasn't tuned correctly to begin with. You still CANNOT go past 9000 RPM max unless you change your gearing, motor mods, or lighter rider. FIRST you must reach your MAX. Solo NEVER reached his max, so he was still gaining speed and RPM.

Read this over and over, try to understand that I just took time out of my day to teach you guys. Any more I have to start charging.

Ok Charles . Whatever .I don't care if you think I understand. I understood the concept before this argument.
Now what's my compression?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Now Solo if you finally GOT IT/UNDERSTAND go back and read my older post. It should be so clear for you now.

Now Frank, you can maybe even understand and tell your little brother lesson learned.

Last edited:
wow

I just joined the site but have been following for a long time now. It looks like alot of good info but so hard to get to because you have to read through so much petti azz garbage.

So far I have learned that this guy Solo like to argue with anyone

MDB knows everything

Bruce likes pushing solo's,ivan and goose's buttons

Turbo frank likes to post pages at a time without any paragraphs

Turbo frank is smarter than Solo

JD Like to test and tune

Bean seems to be a stand up guy

supafly is fly but is a posser(he really is someone we all know)

will add more later.

Goose, if you did understand it wouldn't have took 2 months for you to tune your bike. You would have had your bike tuned first day out to race.
Didn't have a race clutch at first . You know that . I have the highest stall that came with the clutch . Why Hmmmm......
I only test and tune at the spot. It took like 5 weeks.

I just joined the site but have been following for a long time now. It looks like alot of good info but so hard to get to because you have to read through so much petti azz garbage.

MDB knows everything

JD Like to test and tune

will add more later.

You got head the f:censure:k up too, soon as im done testing .....:wink:

Stall is what rpm your clutch locks up, has nothing to do with distance, and yes, a lighter rider, would mean a total lower package weight, so you could lower it, but if the rider can handle the launch, leave it be, HA on my bike, would turn 9300+, same set up with charles would turn 8600rpm
i know what stall "is", the stall is determined by the amount of centrifugal force your springs can withstand, once the springs pass that limit the clutch engages.

so why doesnt everyone just run the highest stall they can?
the higher the stall the quicker the engine can get into the powerband right?

i know what stall "is", the stall is determined by the amount of centrifugal force your springs can withstand, once the springs pass that limit the clutch engages.

so why doesnt everyone just run the highest stall they can?
the higher the stall the quicker the engine can get into the powerband right?
you can reach a point with a motor that makes Alot of power, and too high a stall it will drive right thru the clutch....or have excessive slip for too long hurting all aspects of your run....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!

MDB knows everything

JD Like to test and tune

will add more later.
You got it all figured out
I think Supafly is most likely Beau Boetler, but I don't really care until he starts back acting up. Any new guy, including you is a suspect. But if everyone a can be a happy family, it's cool.

you can reach a point with a motor that makes Alot of power, and too high a stall it will drive right thru the clutch....or have excessive slip for too long hurting all aspects of your run....
ahhhh, i see....so how does a disc ckutch work...i know how the drum clutch works, just not the disc, since i never owned one.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Correct, that's what happen with my old ProMod motor. Once my disc where burned out it raised my stall even more. Causing a lot of heat and a lot of slippage.

You want the clutch to lock up solid right before peak TQ. It's easy to figure out, it goes by total valve lift per cubic inches.

A gx390 honda with .468" total valve lift would have a lower clutch stall than a gx200 with .350" lift. A gx200 with .450" lift will have a higher stall than both other engines.