Lathe fun with your Hot Tub repairs...

My intent with this post is to show a different type of fabrication using the Lathe. Its not metal work but it shows the versatility of work that can be done on the Lathe.

Little back story. We didn't use the hot tub this past winter. It had a leak from the fitting on the heater. Took the fitting off and the O-ring was bad. Well time got away and it sat there empty. Or so I thought... Got busy last weekend, cleaned it and filled it. Oddly there was water running out from under the tub. Looked around and one of the pump fittings was loose. Tightened it up and thought I was good. Still had water running out.... Got the flash light and looked to discover a busted pipe. It was split from fitting to fitting. Nothing to attach to.

EEERRRRRRRR.......

Had to figure out how to connect this to this

Went to the local BIG Hot Tub store and they didn't have a clue... Talked to their technician and he wasn't a technician he was a parts changer.

Started brain storming and went to Home Depot. No help in the plumbing section. 2'' or 3'' was it. The OD on the fittings was 2.650 on one and 2.700 on the other. Went to the electrical section and they had 2 1/2'' pipe. Bought a stick of 2 1/2'' and 2 couplers. Cut 4 1/2'' pieces and chucked them in the Lathe. Trued them and turned the ID to what I needed.

Made a mess too...

Checked my length and assembled the pieces to come up with this

Glued it up and all is well in my world.

Going to fill it with water today and get in it tonight.

Lathes are a wonderful thing. I don't know how I lived without one for so many years.

Doug

Finally got around to filling the hot tub..... Got it about 2/3's full and noticed water running out from under it...

What I had missed and I don't know how was that the manifold had split as well. It is cracked right down the middle between all the hose connections. If I can figure out what the best adhesive will be I can open it slightly, fill the crack and close it with 4 hose clamps. It doesn't have enough water pressure when running to be an issue I don't think.

Anyone have a suggestion for a sealer? I don't think regular PVC glue is the answer. I am thinking something that will give me a few minutes of working time like JB Weld.

How about some Flex Seal Glue?????? It’s a shame they don’t have a putty style sealer yet.
That was the first thing that came to mind but I cant see it doing everything they claim it will do...

I googled PVC repair and came up with this.

It appears that it will do what I need to do. Really all I need it to do is seal the crack. I don't need it to hold it together as I am going to use hose clamps to make sure it stays closed.

That was the first thing that came to mind but I cant see it doing everything they claim it will do...

I googled PVC repair and came up with this.

It appears that it will do what I need to do. Really all I need it to do is seal the crack. I don't need it to hold it together as I am going to use hose clamps to make sure it stays closed.
Hmmmm. That’s probably guna be a better solution, good to know that they have a “plastic weld” compound. Hope it works out for ya, gotta have time to relax:hammer:

Yes how did one live without a lathe .... not well ! Its nice to be able to make parts and return things to living once again .
By ordering the correct parts and doing the job right in the first place. :thumbsup: Just talking plain, since Doug doesn't like limp-wristed, politically correct conversation. :laugh:

I don't think I need to post up the link to the $15 six port manifold, the schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, or the individual jet hoses?

By ordering the correct parts and doing the job right in the first place. :thumbsup: Just talking plain, since Doug doesn't like limp-wristed, politically correct conversation. :laugh:

I don't think I need to post up the link to the $15 six port manifold, the schedule 40 PVC pipe and fittings, or the individual jet hoses?
Dave I was concerned that if I did a new 10 port manifold and replaced all the hoses running to the jets that it would be opening a can of worms and I would end up replacing the jet ports too.... 10 more chances to have a leak... It cost me less than an hour, 4 hose clamps and the $6.60 I paid for the JB Weld.

I here ya on the fixing it with the correct parts And agree 100 percent but I didn't want to deal with all the hoses that were hard and would have to be cut off. And regardless I still didn't have a way to reattach the PVC pipe back to the gate valve where I cut the busted piece off flush. So I was kind of backed in a corner so to speak.

I am happy so far and I can still do the above if it comes to it later.

Doug

Well I got to enjoy the hot tub and relax instead of working on it.

The manifold repair is water tight and holding the pressure from the pump. I don't think it will be a problem again.

Glad its done...

Doug

red baron

Good job with the lathe! If you go to a real plumbing supply store you can buy a bit to cut out the old pipe from a fitting. It looks like drill mounted paint mixer.