looking for a carb for a 94ss cam or better cam

I'm just trying to build my 5hp I/c Briggs for my minibike so it can be FAST and powerful. I currently have a 94ss cam,billet ARC rod and soon I'll buy a arc flywheel. The carb I have has a #1 on the side. Will this carb be ok for this cam or a more powerful cam? Any suggestions on a Tilly carb or other carb?

The pic doesn't show the whole carburetor. So long as its not the type with the push/pull choke in the very end of the carb, you should be ok. I'm using a Dyno 03ss, (which is the next step up from the 94ss) in my 5hp I/C build, with a Mikuni 22mm carb. However, there are guys using modified versions of the Briggs carb, making 20+ HP, so I'm sure this carb can handle your needs. The Briggs carb runs great on my Raptor3 with a 98-3 cam in it, and all I did to it was install a larger jet, and remove the choke. Here are a couple pics.

Matt

Nice Briggs! Yes my carb has the pull/push choke but I pulled out the choke and made it into a plug. What is wrong with the pull/push choke style? How do you like that cam you have? Have you tried other cams before the one you have now?

I'm no expert but I think the push/pull choke style carbs have a smaller bore and were for smaller engines.

I personally used a 26mm 150cc scooter carb on my raptor build, it runs like a raped ape!

Its not so much that the push/pull carbs can't run well on a performance engine. Its that they require extensive modifications, and epoxy work. Then when your done with all that, the aftermarket air filter adapters still don't fit properly, because the weren't designed for these type carbs. So you end up having to cobble together some type of air filter setup. It took a few minutes, but I dug out one of my push pull carbs to show you. This carb ran great, but I removed all the extra castings for the choke in the carb throat area, that had the air filter mounting stud on it. I then filled all holes left from this with epoxy. I also ported/polished the carb throat. It just seems easier to me, to start with the next design carb, that doesn't require nearly as much modifying, and that the aftermarket filter adapters fit properly on. Here are a couple pics of my old push/pull carb.:thumbsup:

As far as the cam goes, I've never used the 03ss before, and my engine isn't done yet. It has required me to get the +.100 lifters to get the valve clearance correct, and its .290 lift is also requiring me to cut valve spring pockets, because I'm running into coil bind issues. You can check out my thread here in the Briggs engine section. Its called "Briggs High RPM Poor Boy Special". I hope to have it running soon. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...s/80440-briggs-high-rpm-poor-boy-special.html

Matt

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice so far guys but I still haven't really found the answer I was originally looking for.... I'll stay with my 94ss but as for the carb? I guess I'll just set up a gas tank on the frame so what gas carb would work good for me? I recently saw the Briggs flojet works good but the tillotson works better.

Last edited: