looking for welder

Hey for this X-mas i'm looking for a welder, my mom says maybe lol

What kind u think i should get?? in Auto tech at boces we use mig.

maybe somthing under $200 if possilbe BUT if not something under $300.

Thanks

Liam

Hent

I'd look for a mig welder WITH gas. Even if you can't afford the bottle and regulator, or even the gas, it's worth it to have it in the future. You won't regret it, but will regret getting a regular flux-core welder.

Go with gas. I got a flux core 220V mig and i just hate the damn thing. Flux core just sucks. Compared to having gas anyways.

Do you got a 220V source in your shop?

Id go with a Lincoln. They seem perfect for home projects.

Smallbore

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice.....

Hey for this X-mas i'm looking for a welder, my mom says maybe lol

Liam
Some of the guys on this site are die hard stick welders, and thats cool... But if you consider the learning curve, a Mig will be a good choice. One thing that all of us old timers can agree on is: Buy cheep, and buy twice. If you are on a slim budget, take your time to look around for a deal on a used quality machine. Miller, Lincoln, or ESAB, its just a matter of choice, but if you start with a quality machine you will only buy once and the machine will last for years. The Harbor Freight machines look tempting but its a problem if they brake. No product support means No parts ! I have a Miller machine in the shop i bought 20 + years ago and it works as well today as the day i bought it. I also agree that a Gas machine is the way to go. Much cleaner welds. If you dont have a hood yet, consider an AUTO Darkening one. Perhaps if you asked your teacher he may know somebody with a used machine, or start watching your local papers, Craigs List, etc. Harbor Freight is ok for gloves, wire brushes, grinding wheels, etc... but spend your money on a good machine. :grind: Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

I have this one Tractor Supply Company - Hobart Handler 125 EZ Welder and like it alot , I have built many things with it as it is very easy to use , I think I paid about this price for it , I like this one better than the Lincoln I have that was a 100amp , this model is still 110 volt good enough for the home projects , BUt I agree with the other posts if you can afford more than do so ,, buy once :weld: I will add that I also the Harbor Frieght automatic welding helmet and again I love it , it is adjustable and so much easier to use tham flipping your helmet up and down ,, My two cents , shoeman

Last edited: