Low RPM Torque Cam

MB165

There are choices, several manufacturers have torque cams. The 280 series from NR racing is a nice one. I have one in my minibaja. It is easy to start, smooth idle, not choppy and good power, but it doesnt come just from the cam, consider a combination of mods. to get what you want.

and CL-1 cams in the bikes currently

Seems like the "power band" is at 4K-6K

Just wondering if there was something to make it kick in around 2500-5500

MB165

I know.....these engines are only 200cc. getting power out of them at lower rpms, no matter how much you do they just seem to need to be revved up to get it.

I think getting the head to flow more is more important....open exhaust, less restrictive air filter, bigger carb...

Last edited:
Well If it were me.

I know Mr. Isky made the Momba jr for this sort of thing.
Its one of the cheapest ones you can buy and made by a well known grinder.

a 14cc head with a little ( notice I say little just knock the corners off inside the ports ) mild porting.
I like this head because its tends to have smaller ports and when lightly cleaned up its not going to kill the low end.
The Newer Honda pitons like the Z4M are my choice.

I have not tried the CDI ignition from Honda ( NR racing has it no rev limit ).
But my gut tells me this is a smart choice for torque motor build.

A good valve job and I think good SI valves are worth the money.

Find a small bore single stage header.
Nothing bigger than a .800 internal diameter ( you do not have big enough anything to warrent more and that is big for a modest motor ).

I would stick with the OEM carb.
If you choose something else like a PZ22 then no bigger than that..

This is as wild as you can go and make low end torque.
And I can;t say for sure what it will do for you I would have too tune it myself and play around before I made any claims.

At the very least get the 14cc head and Isky cam.
That a decent header and some tuning might achieve what you want.

Compression, valve seat and bowl work, maybe advance cam and ignition timing, standard torque stuff.

Longer intake runner seems like it would be a big benefit. Stockers are designed around packaging not pulse-tuning.

Stock cam with high-ratio rockers?

140 head? Port seems sized fine for moderate revs.

Getting torque from a torquer cam the CL1

So if there ever was a torquer cam the CL would be it in the dyno line.
It,s a dual pattern which personally i have no use for, but im thinkin the folks at dyno figgered this cam could work with a stock muffler.

Your not pulling till after 4 k is a problem, your runnin dual pattern with a pipe on a motor with a better exhaust than intake arrangement, i can't think of a better case for a bit of over scavaneing.
Yyou need to get your intake working better so put a 1.3:1 rocker on there youll have to mod or replace the guide plate to work with it. You may need a little baffle in the pipe.
What else, oh ya jetting, pieolet mite not be giving you enough down low.

65ShelbyClone

A cam that favors lift over duration with conservative overlap will help low-end torque. You could even epoxy the intake port floor to improve the short-side radius and bring peak charge velocity in at a lower RPM. This will naturally compromise top-end power, but everything you do in the pursuit of power will involve taking it from somewhere else.