Low tech tire bead buster

Today I decided to change the back tires on my dune cat with tires I got for Christmas. Trying to brake the bead was troublesome. Tried a board and sledge hammer with no avail. Next I put the tire/rim under my truck back bumper and used a screw jack to compress the tire and it worked. The next tire would not budge. So I used a 4’ and a 3’ plank making a ‘ramp’ on the tire to compress the tire with my truck. After 4 try’s on 4 different spots the bead held on with the tire stretched under wood ramp. Then I tried using a long thin mason chisel to brake the bead still no avail. So I grabbed my dremel tool and surgery cut the bead. Finally successful!! What’s with the cardboard fibers inside? E8BD3240-90EB-4E88-BCFA-B5DC88951F2C.jpeg

It also helps to cut out a half circle on the board that matches the diameter of the rim, it'll help it to bite. Yep, that crap on the inside is dried fix a flat.
That original tire didn't look too bad, I don't even see any cracks/weather checking.

Last edited:
The inside of the rim was cerroded. I think the lip is salvageable with a little more sanding. I like the cutting the wood to fit better - less time rotation the tire and driving up and down. The tires were in ok shape other than 1/3 of the tread worn. Then my son drove the cat years ago I kept the tire pressure low for a softer ride. He’s grown and moved away so I’m tinkering with it to make a spider mobile version. Santa got me a set of 20 by 10-8 turf tires, turbo golf cart hub caps and 6” cake pans. With a little slicing, grinding and spray paint I came up with these hub caps. I plan to paint the spider man logo when I paint the fiberglass. 10EF0379-CCBC-4202-BB1E-203B8912A207.jpeg 37621A25-0153-4A2E-A0DC-A12F2E21C483.jpeg 1DCE94B6-AAF2-466F-B567-9A6E8ECFAF8F.png