mike Bike....

capguncowboy

I will get a better photo of the sprocket. The shadows make it look a lot worse that it is.
Worse than it is? It looks like more than 50% of the teeth are missing (looking at the 11 o'clock position). I would either fix the current clutch by replacing the sprocket, or pick up a new clutch. Either way, it doesn't cost that much, and your time considered, is well worth the investment.

Worse than it is? It looks like more than 50% of the teeth are missing (looking at the 11 o'clock position). I would either fix the current clutch by replacing the sprocket, or pick up a new clutch. Either way, it doesn't cost that much, and your time considered, is well worth the investment.
the teeth look paper thin and razor sharp, I'd say the clutch deserves a sit out and let a new clutch from OldMiniBikes work for a ton o years again.
is the bushing even any good? new clutch is 30 sumptin

Last edited:
OK after another look at it..... The clutch will be retired. Decided to tears the motor the rest of the way down so I don't leak oil all over a new paint job.

What is it with mice and shrouds? I brought a mouse home in an engine. Even after I pulled the cord 5 or so times to test for spark and compression. The thought of it in my car the whole ride gives me the willies!

Nice work though! Love the before and after on that one!

Well I am considering redoing the paint... You can't see in the photo,s but there is a lot of pitting. I didn't expect it to come out as nice so I wasn't worried about it. Now I am thinking of taking it back down to metal and bondo the pits......

View attachment 69761 Got the motor ALL the way down. Now I can attack the dirt so I get a good painting surface....
I find that using gas to clean out that old oil works like a charm! If you use an old toothbrush and gas, it also removes most of the exterior dirt. I'm just about to paint my Tecumseh white, and I just painted a white 5hp Briggs. You can really see the oil with white paint, so lots of cleaning is a great idea! :thumbsup: Good luck :laugh:

I have an old can of coleman camp stove fuel. I was going to use that to clean it up. Going to prime and paint it apart, then put one more coat on it together like factory paint. Need to find a decent cab for it though. it is a 80202 3HP.

Been a while... putting the motor back together. Am I correct that the newer magneto that I don't need to have points and a condenser back on the motor? Yes I am clueless....

Yes Ignition coil OR C.D.I. Capacitive Spark Discharge. The easiest explanation is it uses a primary and secondary coil of wires to produce spark. It replaces the points and condenser. When you install it, you'll have to shim the air gap between the posts and the flywheel magnet.
Cool resto! :thumbsup:

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited: