milled head push rod length

Hello I have just finish building my new engine, its a hemi bottom end with a 18cc honda head milled 50 thousands. I am concered about the pushrod length, will the stock non hemi pushrods work or do i need cut to fit pushrods? I have started this engine already and it seems ok but i would like to make sure. Thank you.

Easiest way is to check how the rocker arm is contacting the top of the valve/lash cap... You want it in the middle at all times...
You can colour the top of the lash cap with a marker and check that way...
Another way of getting away with not using the cut to length push rods is using the Honda gx160 lifters...they are quite a bit shorter...

Easiest way is to check how the rocker arm is contacting the top of the valve/lash cap... You want it in the middle at all times...
You can colour the top of the lash cap with a marker and check that way...
Another way of getting away with not using the cut to length push rods is using the Honda gx160 lifters...they are quite a bit shorter...
X-2 This is some good advice.

rmm727

Question though....does the Hemi Predator use the same diameter lifters as the Honda/Clone because a regular Predator I checked used a slightly larger diameter lifter (at the stem) and the fit was sloppy.

A Few of the Loncin vs Lifan Engines I have built have had Different Lifter stem DIA......Be Cautious!!! :hammer:
P.S. You will be OK with stock Length Pushrods

Im having an issue with adjusting the valves on my engine, if i put it on tdc and adjust the valves then spin it over it either has way too much compression or none. I have swapped out push rods for shorter ones with the same result. Im at a loss:doah:

Sounds like you are adjusting lash with the lifter on decompression. As you turn the crank, watch the rockers, and near TDC, you will see one of them move up and down a hair if adjusted properly.

Stock cam right? This does not apply if aftermarket cam without decompression.

Its not a stock cam, i have adjusted it every which way i can think of and its either so much compression or none. Im running the rev pro red 10.8 springs its getting ridiculous now.. lol

rmm727

How are you turning over the engine? With the pull chord and the lash set correctly, these engines don't feel like they have much compression. Even with the head shaved.

After i set the lash i have my finger over the spark plug hole and feel for the "pop" when its present i reinstall the plug and "try" and pull, massive amounts of compression. Without the pop the engine will not run. Its a hemi bottom end with .010 head gasket so it should have a fair amount of compression i think.

Ive done it 12 time in every way i can think of with the same results, it's completely possible im doin something wrong but i can figure it out, i swapped to shorter pushrods with the same result. Very frustrating.

vwfan79

Make sure you are setting your lash at tdc of the compression stroke not the exhaust stroke. I put a mark on the flywheel and one on the block and line then up when setting lash in order to have the engine at the exact same spot every time I set or check lash.