mongrel cruiser

d__T

20160626_131051 small.jpg

I'm new at both motorcycles specifically, and mechanicking in general, so any spontaneous guidance is appreciated tho to be sure I'll be going through threads here for info :D

The guy I bought it from said: needs carb, sparks, engine rebuild, and TLC. Additionally: built for a building competition out of minibike and moped parts and the engine ran when he traded a bunch of stuff for it & a bunch of different stuff.

First Glance to do list, in no particular order:
  • engine (determine make, rebuild?)
  • get carb & sparks
  • get chain
  • tank (is it still good?, how should it really be secured?)
  • replace tires & tubes
  • determine if I need to register this as an actual motorcycle (probably yes)
  • electrical system is mostly missing
  • exhaust

Things that seem ok / work as anticipated:
  • the front brake
  • the frame seems to be in decent condition but could probably suffer another coat of paint.

Anything to add?

My plan is to start with the engine rebuild and then work outward from there. Does anyone have any resources on small engine rebuilding?

Thanks!!

I don't want to be the one to tell this but I will , with little to no mechanical skillz this is not the project to start your learning process in my opinion , it will be a money pit at the least ! Get rid of it why you can and look for a real mini bike that is more complete , you'll thank me later !

I wouldnt bother rebuilding yet. First step would be to get it running. No reason to rebuild it if it doesnt need it. Carb is easy. Spark might be a little more tricky. youll need a wiring diagram to figure out whats what. Registering by whatever numbers are on the neck will be the easiest thing to do. NY is pretty simple to get registered without papers