MTD Trial Flite Project

Long time since I touched this one but I'm getting the itch to finish this now. I've accumlated a lot of parts from ebay and my brothers right here at OldMiniBikes. So I think ima git er dun!

"I haz proper tank nows, Daddy!"

Yes you do, lil MTD. Looks nice!

"Vrooom!"

Aw! I love you!

capguncowboy

I know a lot of people hate the looks of those bikes, but I really like the design of that leading front end. It's miles better than the Columbia frame design with those funky/ugly handle bars

That engine should be a nice fit on there!

I know a lot of people hate the looks of those bikes, but I really like the design of that leading front end. It's miles better than the Columbia frame design with those funky/ugly handle bars

I franky think the MTD Trail Flite is the coolest looking large wheeled minibike there is. I dont compare it to the Columbia, which i do adore. Different class.

This one is a keeper. I'll never sell it. It'll become a family heirloom, by gum!

Is the seat pan bent upwards Brian? Every time I look at the pictures I get this feeling that it appears to be bent upwards. Right behind where the shocks mount. The pan would have probably had more of a crease so maybe this is right for the bike but I just wondered about it.

pomfish

The big spoke wheel frames make good choppers to due to the rake employed for the leading front end.
See this post for what I mean, she is The Widowmaker :)
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/51818-widowmaker.html

The backrest is currently not on the bike and really never was, just mocked it up for picks to see how it might look. Bike now has New back tire, Cone air filter kit and a slightly modified governor.
Still one of my most reliable bikes, gas it and go!
Later,
Keith

Last edited:

pomfish

Is the seat pan bent upwards Brian? Every time I look at the pictures I get this feeling that it appears to be bent upwards. Right behind where the shocks mount. The pan would have probably had more of a crease so maybe this is right for the bike but I just wondered about it.
I think they all look like that, Because they use the snap button style of seat cover retention, the seat kind of makes the bend in the pan look more pronounced then it really is.
Here is mine. Named it Bucky Beaver because of the leading axle
Best running Tecumseh I have ever had, it is a freak :) lighting coil still works like a champ too.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nah they seem to all be like that. Here it is without the seat:

[/QUOTE]

Nice work! More pics? In an effort to revive this thread, I have the same HS50 67061A. Did you use the original 1" crankshaft, or replace or machine it down to 3/4"? Not so many choices for a 1" clutch for #35 chain. I'm in the midst of a project build and curious how you dealt with the 1" crank. Thanks!