Muskin Dune Cat Find! (Help Needed!)

https://hent.com/engine-Mounting-Plate-5-x-12-flat/

Hent, top of the page.
Check there first, please. he owns this site, too.
Thanks! unfortunately, none of the plates on Hent's shop are an exact fit, i was out of town at the time so i couldnt get the measurements on my own.
I've taken some photos of the actual motor mount "box." but if noone has the measurements, ill just take them myself and post my findings here for others.

heres photos of one of the original mount "box" things. See how the mount is longer, and bent at an angle to meet the sides? that's what i was looking for.

i just ended up picking up a 3x4 sheet of 1/8th steel, since the original is 1/8th thick.

Attachments

I draw up some measurements for you. I don’t know how to measure the angles with the frame tube in the way. I can send pictures with a tape measure of different spots if needed C8BD98A7-9629-4573-95A6-322500ABFEE0.jpeg

I draw up some measurements for you. I don’t know how to measure the angles with the frame tube in the way. I can send pictures with a tape measure of different spots if needed
youre an actual champion. thank you SO much, ill get that angle tomorrow morning, ive got a protractor that can measure that small spot.

thank you SO much!

If it helps any the circumference the corners that’s welded to the tube frame is 3/4” (moon crescent shape) total counting the two different plates that are welded together that form the corner of the box

Alright. I think I've managed to put together a somewhat readable mechanical drawing of the motor-mount-box-thing.
Here it is, in all of it's glory. Of course,I expect folks to have questions or corrections. I kinda just threw it together.

Yes, I know the formatting is horrid.
Yes, I know autocad is free for a short time.
No, for some reason it does not install on my computer. I don't know why, and I don't want to figure it out. I'm tired of fixing technology problems :D

Here it is, in all of its scuffed glory!

MotormountMechdiagram1972MuskinDuneCat-Liviflame-OldMiniBikes.com.png

Here is an Imgur album of the photos I took for some measurements. I appologize for the quality of some. But I'm insanely lazy.
Photos of measurements

Last edited:
Pretty pictures. Try making a mock one out of stiff cardboard to see if it fits your frame. If it’s good, make the real one, weld it to the frame. Install the axle with the inner flanges and bearings. The outside bearings and flanges (next to rims) bolt to the frame tabs (not welded to frame yet) make sure all is square then weld the tabs to the frame. To me it’s an easy way to make sure the axle and bearings fit. The front spindles are angled a bit. The side view of your original frame will show you. I never noticed it when the shell and tires were on mine

Pretty pictures. Try making a mock one out of stiff cardboard to see if it fits your frame. If it’s good, make the real one, weld it to the frame. Install the axle with the inner flanges and bearings. The outside bearings and flanges (next to rims) bolt to the frame tabs (not welded to frame yet) make sure all is square then weld the tabs to the frame. To me it’s an easy way to make sure the axle and bearings fit. The front spindles are angled a bit. The side view of your original frame will show you. I never noticed it when the shell and tires were on mine
ooh, that's why you mentioned angling them 8°, ill take a look tomorrow when I'm not completely beat.

great idea with the cardboard too! that'll make fixing one up lots easier.

quick update! I've got the front end almost completed, last few things is beefing up the steering area and putting on the rear body support bars.

I'll have the rear axle done today, aswell. save for the torque converter I've got.

I've also found something out. the snap rings that go inside the series 100 peerless diff are .669 HEAVY DUTY snaps, not the m20 metric ones. the heavy duty ones are the correct thickness!
correct ones on the left, m20s on the right. the m20s would probably work, but i just like the idea of using one that's right, than two that work.

Attachments

Alright.
I'm unfotunately stopping the project for another year or so, might be less, but alas.

I managed to get it together completely, motor mounted, gearbox mounted, everything together, and it did move under its own power.
however, because it wasnt stable enough, the chain fell off only ~20 feet from where i started.
When i get back to it, ill finish the entire thing up, getting it painted, getting the wheels redone, and properly bracing the drivetrain so the chain doesnt pop off.

Thanks everyone for your help thus far, I hope to come back and finish the project finally!