My Cat 400EL Eliminator

Well I'm a little new to the minibike scene but I've worked with other things that run on small engines (i.e. generators, lawn mowers, lawn tractors) and thought this would be cool to get going again to have something fun to mess around on until I decide to ride a motorcycle. Of course I'm only 19 and still don't have my license yet, so it'd be suicidal to hop on a motorcycle at this point. lol

I had to do some research at first to find out which bike this was, and eventually I figured it was a cat. The only one that looked most like this was the eliminator since it had both front and rear suspension and had a seat with a sissy bar on it with the gold sides.

Here's a couple pics of it. It's kind of gotten past this point, but I'll explain it later.

Here's the engine available to me to use:

Here's the story of this thing:
My dad said that he got it from a customer when he worked for Gill Bros. as an HVAC tech. sometime when I was maybe 3 or 4 years old, back in the mid-90s. He put on an old '54ish Briggs 6S (which I've never seen run on that thing) and eventually it sat for another 4-5 years in the back yard. Later on my dad found another engine for it, a little newer. It was a 70s(?) 3hp briggs engine, and I've actually seen it run with that engine on it, but I don't remember it ever going fast. Eventually it sat for almost another decade until my half-brother decided to take it and put on this harbor freight engine. Of course with his lack of engineering skills he bolted it to a piece of plywood then just wedged some carriage bolts through it from the bottom of the mount plate because the base of the engine was too small. He then proceeded to spray paint "chrome" on the handlebars and shocks, and then tore up the seat and brake caliper, along with a ton of other stuff.

Afterwards, he told me he's been wanting to get rid of it so I took it back. I had to clean the carb on the engine because he left gas in it for about 18 months, so that runs now. Since I didn't get a whole lot of brake parts back with it, I'll have to replace them too. I already redid the seat. It's not the same as the original but I didn't really like the upright look. That's just me. I have yet to get a throttle cable and grips, drill new motor mounts (I filled in the holes my brother blindly drilled) retrofit the new brake caliper onto the bracket, get a new master link (I bent the last one test riding it and lost the plate and clip) and this thing should be ok to use until winter is over, then I'll sand down all the parts the best I can and repaint the whole thing. I'm not really wanting to go for original on this. "Pineapple flam" isn't really my favorite look honestly. I'm thinking more of doing a racing green metallic for the frame and try to get the chrome back on the handlebars, fenders and wheels. If I can't do that then I'll just opt for silver or something. I also want to replace the engine. This one does alright, but I'd rather get something that actually fits the stock motor mounts and has a little more power. I'm thinking about eventually buying a 212cc predator to put on this thing.

I pretty much already took care of the seat. I took what padding I had and chopped it up and put it together with spray adhesive, then I wrapped it up with vinyl.

I'd say I did an ok job considering that it was my first upholstery job and that I didn't make it so it matched the shape a little better.

I broke every single bolt holding the stars on the front wheel, they'll have to be patched up a little bit because one of them was rotted out a little on one of the tabs. I didn't take off the ones on the back yet because I had other stuff I wanted to do first.

These pics are from what I got done today:

I tried to fill in the extra holes as good as I could, but of course the JB weld didn't work as good as I was hoping, but it'll keep things from getting out of hand. I think in the future I should invest in a welder for this kind of stuff.

But anyway, I got the engine mounted once again, this time more properly. I don't think it 100% lines up with the rear sprocket but it lines up much better than my previous set-up.

Here's another pic of the engine:

It might not look like it's lined up right in that pic, I think that's because the shape of the engine's base has the clutch side about 1cm shorter than the flywheel side. It's actually better than it looks.

Next thing to do is fit the brake caliper on and hook it up, make sure it works, then that's about all I can do until I get more parts. Oh, and I have to put a kickstand on it too, I've been using a 6x6 piece of wood to keep it stood up.

After I get the brakes and kickstand on, I'll need to get new grips, throttle cable (I already set up the throttle on the engine with a bracket), a master link, a couple bent links removed from the chain and she'll be ready to ride for the winter. Then maybe I'll get a new engine after new year's, and possibly down the road a torque converter instead of a bigger clutch. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last edited:
I actually took your question seriously until I saw the next post. :laugh:

But in all seriousness, this engine has a 5/8" shaft. I think really that's the only reason my brother got this engine and not the 6.5, it was the only thing that the clutch would fit on. I still don't like it very much because the torque is a little bit lousy for me and the bolt pattern was frustrating considering the fact that he already tried to drill holes for it and failed miserably. But I predict a predator engine and a new clutch after New Year's.

I guess another written update, I got the caliper on, but it needs to be lined up a little better with the sprocket because I bent the mounting bracket in the wrong place. Plus I'll probably need to make another actuator arm because the one that was on there didn't have enough clearance for the clevis between bolt heads, so I wanted to bend it out. Of course, the actuator I later found out is made of hardened steel so it's completely resistant to bending. I then proceeded to put it in a vise and whack it with a hammer. Nothing. Then later that night I noticed that I didn't so much bend it, but cracked it. It'll still do fine but I still want to make a new one that more closely resembles the old one, except with the groove for the "dowels" turned 90 degrees so that it's in the same place as the old caliper.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, my old caliper was a Kelsey & Hayes 200M with everything seized up on it and missing the other half. I got a replacement but it's designed much differently. Like others, I had to grind down one spot to get it to mount on properly.

I guess I'll get around to doing more once the weather stops being all pissy. Man I wish I had a garage.... :glare:

45t

Cool build. I'm doing a 400EL too. Your a lil futher than me. I'm still trying to figure out what engine to use (I have a 3hp briggs mocked up in the pic). I just had the engine plate fixed from a previous owner going crazy with a grinder and drill. :doah: I still need brakes and a lot of odds and ends.

What ever happened to the original sissy bar from yours? I'd be interested in it if you still have it?

Last edited:
Cool build. I'm doing a 400EL too. Your a lil futher than me. I'm still trying to figure out what engine to use (I have a 3hp briggs mocked up in the pic). I just had the engine plate fixed from a previous owner going crazy with a grinder and drill. :doah: I still need brakes and a lot of odds and ends.

What ever happened to the original sissy bar from yours? I'd be interested in it if you still have it?

I'm ahead? Getting mine in riding condition is only half the project, the other will be making it LOOK like it's in good riding condition. Looks like you've already covered that part, it looks amazing!

Mine never really had a sissy bar to begin with, I just knew that this was the same model. The original seat was messed up, the only "sissy bar" it had was 2 bars of steel angled up the back and a strip of aluminum going across the top of the seat and bolted to hold it down. I really didn't like that setup so I just went for the flat style with the rise in the back.

I still need to do the modifications to the caliper, luckily the sun's out so I'll see what I can do about that today.

Well here's what I'm down to now. Soaked the original kh caliper in vinegar to help get the rust and crud off of it. Left it like that for about 4 weeks then managed to free up the pins and file them down so they fit again. Swapped the pads and got it all together, I just need to put some spacers in between them. I've got a trick for that and ill try it out tomorrow.

I might as well throw in a little update here since I'm bored and nearly forgot about this place...

In April or May I fabricated a new engine adapter plate for the 2.5 engine since the JB weld didn't hold up very well, I got new throttle grips, I got the caliper back together and rode it that way for a few months, then I gathered some cash and went down to Harbor Freight in June to buy a new Predator 212cc engine. In that meantime I had to get a new wheel bearing and tire since I had a hard ass time getting the old one off, and OldMiniBikes Warehouse is conveniently just down the street from a nearby neighborhood so I came by with a list and came out with a new tube, clutch, some chain, a new bearing and a tire.

Then I decided to tear it down and repaint it..

Stripped the old paint and rust off

Slapped some Krylon Dual Paint+Primer Gloss Hunter Green on it

...And here's how she looked when I was done putting everything together. I redid the seat and hand-stitched the vinyl together so that it looked less weird; I probably could have done a better job than that but it still looks better to me than it did before. I also snipped up some sheet metal and made up some brackets to hold the rear fender and got both fenders back on the bike. It looks so much better with them on there. I couldn't save the chrome on them nor the handlebars and wasn't interested in trying to do a chrome look for them, so I painted them gloss black to add some contrast or some other nice look.

My plans for it come this spring are to replace the rear shocks since I can't get them apart to free them up or anything, but that might be on the bottom of the list, I also want to try getting a better finish out of the paint, put in a tensioner sprocket, put the new tire on the front and replace the rear tire again with a bigger one, new wheel bearings all around (that new one had pieces of the flange break off of it so I'll have to find different ones on ebay, sorry) and I think that'll be it for this one. Maybe some brake work too since they're acting up a bit. I can't seem to remember what else I was going to do.

Either way I'm proud of this one, it's never looked like this before and every bit of money I spent getting it this way was well worth it. Now I just have to wait for this god-awful cold weather to go away and then make another trip to OldMiniBikes.