My dad's mini bike

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some help identifying a mini bike my dad used to own (he passed away in 2007).

He won it in a $3 raffle at the Hillsdale, Michigan county fair in the late 1960's. It would have to be after 1966 based on where the picture was taken. I remember it from when I was about 7 or 8 years old.

As I recall, it was street legal (he had it licensed) and had a transmission (4-speed?). The photo shows him and my mom's mom on the bike, but his leg is covering up the tank badge and no one in my family can remember what the make of the bike was. It looks to be a round logo, but nothing I've seen on the internet exactly matches the bike.

There are white side panels behind the engine with a small access door, perhaps for an oil injection tank? With a magnifying glass, you can make out that the sticker on the panel says "Leon's motorcycle shop, Osseo Michigan"

The engine cylinder seems to be mounted upright with a slight forward tilt. The headlight is mounted on a bracket that sticks out from the yoke, not on the forks like most headlights, maybe part of an accessory kit? The tank is chrome, and the handlebars appear to fold down, with friction knobs on the back to lock them in place.

The front fender is rather small and chromed and is mounted just above the rubber fork gaiters. The wheels appear to be solid with drum brakes front and rear.

All in all, it appears to be a pretty high-end mini bike, with a lot of neat features! Any help figuring out what this is would be appreciated!

Here's the only photo of it we've been able to find.

I have to admit, that the Benelli Dynamo is the closest I've seen on the web so far. There still seem to be quite a few differences, though.

The front fender on my dad's bike is shorter, it has a horn above the fender, the headlight is mounted differently, there are side covers under the seat, the handlebar knobs are black.

The wheels on dad's bike look more like the ones on the Hurricane than the Dynamo. Dad's mini bike looks like a strange cross between the two. Dynamo tank, Hurricane fender and headlight mount, etc...
None of the Benelli's have fork gaiters, though.

Could my dad's have been a very, very early model in the U.S.? It sure does resemble the Benelli more than any other mini bike I've seen.

mybiz

You know say the frame/motor/front end/rims is the bike!! All the rest of it is accessories fenders/handle bars/side covers/exhaust/and so on. It is hard to see the bike with your mom & dad on it :thumbsup:

I think you're probably right, it is a Benelli Dynamo. Like you said, the differences could be due to the fact that they were accessories installed at the dealership.

I wouldn't be suprised if dad's won his bike before 1970, maybe closer to 1967. Since it was the prize in a raffle, they might have bolted up whatever chrome doodads fit, just to jazz it up a little to bring in more money.

Thanks for your help!

mybiz

It would be nice if my screen size was 32" or bigger but its not its a 14.1 It did help blowing the pic up. Bigger is allways better:eek: :evil_laughter: