My Dirt Bug as it should be, modded...

I don't believe the 270mm axle bolt is long enough as the slots for key are all the way out at end of nut . The axle bolt they sent me was barely long enough to put the locking nut on completely . I bought the L-nuts at Fastenal , they are hard to find ! Plus it looks a lot cleaner IMO .
I don't know if this pic is clear enough to see axle nut ?

GustoGuy

I like my thickly padded rebond foam seat much better than the poorly made stock seat. I guess the rear suspension would be nice. I am surprised that people put a lot of money into building up the DB30's and they keep the crappy stock seat. I do like the Motovox hydraulic front end compared to the so-so Yukon trail springer front end that I bought last spring which only has a little over 2 inches of suspension.

Last edited:
I made my own using a dense carpet padding in layers , it's way better than the stock seat but with the mono-shock springer seat the stock one probably would have been ok ?

GustoGuy

I don't believe the 270mm axle bolt is long enough as the slots for key are all the way out at end of nut . The axle bolt they sent me was barely long enough to put the locking nut on completely . I bought the L-nuts at Fastenal , they are hard to find ! Plus it looks a lot cleaner IMO .
I don't know if this pic is clear enough to see axle nut ?
How much suspension travel does that front Motovox fork have? I sure like that hydraulic fork compared to the Springs in a tube Yukon trails fork. It is a bit better than stock ridgid fork but it has only about 2 1/2 inches of travel

There was a box waiting on me last night when I woke up...

MBX11 hydraulic forks and axle bolt, MBX10 handle bars and risers.

The lower bracket on the forks can be moved up or down to fit the steering head.

The handle bars sit a little different than the stock DB30. I had to play with the adjustment for a few times to get them where I was comfortable.

Also, I had to file down the faces of the handle bar riser clamp pieces. They didn't grip the handle bars tight enough.

Stock DB30 forks.

Motovox forks.

Surprisingly, I did not need a washer as a spacer for the front axle spacers. My stock DB30 spacers fit just fine.

I will work on a mount for the stock DB30 front fender at some point.

I went for a short test ride before I figured out the riser clamps didn't grip the handle bars tight enough. Man, what a difference! My Dirt Bug rides MUCH better now. I dare say that this is the best modification I have made...

Skpyle , I'd get the OldMiniBikes chrome fenders , IMO they have a better shape then the DB fenders . The quality of chrome is poor but for $18 you cant beat it , I made a mounting bracket out of 1/8" aluminum plate , used the fork tube bolt and I bent the little tab on forks up 90 dgrees and drilled it out for a 1/4-20 bolt to attach bracket !
I put the chrome fender on rear too !

Thanks for the idea, chipper! I had taken note of the bracket you made for your fender, and had planned on duplicating it.

Chrome OldMiniBikes fender had never occurred to me. I will look into it.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle

GustoGuy

Hello GustoGuy!

Thanks for the excellent idea! My Dirt Bug is running right now, and it is a Wheelie Machine of Death!!! I ride it by feathering the throttle and leaning forward. I will try the weight ideas. How did you secure the weight over the front wheel?

Seth K. Pyle

I used the number decal plate attachment holes and driiled a hole in the plate steel and used bolts and locking nylon ring lock nuts to secure it. I sure do like the Motovox fork and I think I seen that the Motovox fork has two holes to mount a number plate. Use those to secure the steel. I also used 3M body panal adhesive to mount the lower steel plate to the frame of the mini bike just in front of the engine. Some people have stretched the frame an addition 4 to 6 inches by welding in steel pipe of the same diameter.