My First Gote - F300

I just picked up this gote the model number is F300 and serial number is #179.

IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0360.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg
IMG_0355.jpg

Anybody know what year it is? I need to pick up the motor from PO and he said it was the original, but it is a 6HP B&S. Wouldn't of had a 3HP if it is a 300 model?

Sorry I don't know about the Gote's....but that's a nice roller you've got there, and welcome to the OldMiniBikes !:thumbsup:

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
Welcome, nice gote. There are a few people here who know gotes well. They should be able to let you know what engine it had. May be able to google info also.

Davis

That is a forest service model very neat and yes I do think that's a 3hp bike very cool the original schwinn front brake is still on it those are hard to find.

Tote gote made machines for the forest service and yours has all the correct markings and features. The 'F' in the serial number indicates an early forest service model, later models had a 'FS' prefix. The 'no footpeg' frame was also made for the forest service. There is no way to be certain about a production date but some of your features (no front springs, external bearing jackshafts) put it about 1961.

Davis

Tote gote made machines for the forest service and yours has all the correct markings and features. The 'F' in the serial number indicates an early forest service model, later models had a 'FS' prefix. The 'no footpeg' frame was also made for the forest service. There is no way to be certain about a production date but some of your features (no front springs, external bearing jackshafts) put it about 1961.
I think your right the only think that throws me off is the internal throttle kinda weird.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome, and all the great information. I went and picked up the engine today and it looks like it was made in June of 1962, if I am reading the numbers stamped on the cover correctly. They read 100202 401045 6206190. I am pretty new to old B&S motors, but those last numbers are the date of manufacture correct? Is it also correct the first number(s) indicate the displacement? So if I am interpreting them correctly it is a 10 C.I.. Does that translate into 3HP?

The bad news is that in the box of extra parts I got with the bike there was no clutch.:facepalm: I am assuming that it could have had a Deepco or a Salsbury, right? Or could it have been the Climb-Away? In any case I guess I should put up a wanted thread on here to see if anybody has one for sale. I am guessing they are rare as hen's teeth these days.

I am gonna need some help getting the old girl back on the trails, so I really apreciate any input.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome, and all the great information. I went and picked up the engine today and it looks like it was made in June of 1962, if I am reading the numbers stamped on the cover correctly. They read 100202 401045 6206190. I am pretty new to old B&S motors, but those last numbers are the date of manufacture correct? Is it also correct the first number(s) indicate the displacement? So if I am interpreting them correctly it is a 10 C.I.. Does that translate into 3HP?
Welcome. This is a great site. :thumbsup: Here's a B&S decoder.

Briggs and Stratton Model Identification

Yup, saw that after I posted. Sorry, excited newb who forgot the interwebs is all knowing if you bother to look. I Should have done calculated it myself and not asked stupid questions.

10 Cubic Inch = 164 CC = 5 HP

So most likely not the original motor. I bet those Forest Service guys put some wear and tear on them things back in the day. I know I would have if I was getting paid to ride around on one.:biggrin:

Yup, saw that after I posted. Sorry, excited newb who forgot the interwebs is all knowing if you bother to look. I Should have done calculated it myself and not asked stupid questions.

10 Cubic Inch = 164 CC = 5 HP

So most likely not the original motor. I bet those Forest Service guys put some wear and tear on them things back in the day. I know I would have if I was getting paid to ride around on one.:biggrin:
A 5hp B&S is 13 cui. 10 cui shoud be rated at about 3.5 hp.

Well, foiled again. Just when I think I figured something out.... I wonder if the calculator I used was the going down hill with the wind at your back version :laugh: Are the HP ratings for B&S motors listed anywhere? My eyes are bleeding from all the reading I have been doing in the last couple of days on these things. Offically addicted. LOL Thanks for the correction. I guess the good news is that the motor is probably the original :thumbsup:, oh wait, does that mean I have to restore this thing to original or be stoned in the parking lot at the next Tote Gote rendezvous I go to? Crap.

Well, foiled again. Just when I think I figured something out.... I wonder if the calculator I used was the going down hill with the wind at your back version :laugh: Are the HP ratings for B&S motors listed anywhere? My eyes are bleeding from all the reading I have been doing in the last couple of days on these things. Offically addicted. LOL Thanks for the correction. I guess the good news is that the motor is probably the original :thumbsup:, oh wait, does that mean I have to restore this thing to original or be stoned in the parking lot at the next Tote Gote rendezvous I go to? Crap.
Your estimate of 164 CC = 5 HP is pretty close for a newer OHV engine. I figure about 30cc per hp stock. The old side valve engines are less efficient and had a lower power to displacement ratio. Usually around 40-45cc per hp.

I'm not aware of a complete list of B&S model number to hp ratings. About 10 years ago they stopped using power ratings altogether and started listing ft-lbs torque on the label which is a bigger number. Leading to a lot of confusion.