my heathkit hilltopper

Well as some of you may read i picked up a Heathkit Hilltopper from a guy who said he had one as a kid, got this to restore and never got there.

It has the original jackshaft, light, shocks, and tires. oh and one hand grip.

putting this thing back original might be a problem. i like the way the original looks but im not sure i have the money or if the parts are out there. for now its going to be tastefully modified till I have time to tear it all down to redo it.

someone has once torn it down and repainted it, its all yellow and silver. i dont hate it but im still not sure how i feel about it. im lazy so for now its fine

got the 5hp briggs on it going, but then realized how much work it needs. front brake does nothing and cable and handle is missing. rear brand handle missing, brake is kaput. front forks are stuck. the seat was a lumpy mess. the TAV is missing the bronze bushing, and with the spacer plate they installed to clear the fuel tank on the briggs, i cant move the motor forward to adjust the belt tension. it takes off at a decent rpm and will try to pull the front wheel off the ground.

anyway here are pics of it now. just a few parts i had lying around

toomanytoys

doesn't look bad. The hill topper parts are harder to find. The metal TAV cover, the side cover on the jack shaft, and the muffler are stupid expensive when they show up.

I found a guy parting one out and he wanted to sell me those parts for 500 dollars.

Some where I have a newer style plastic TAV cover laying around. With a little work you could probably make it fit.

Last edited:
i need some sort of cover, i dont like all that spinning around my leg. if i had someone nearby i would just make a fiberglass copy from an original. im thinking about going ahead and buying the decals because i think they look cool

at this point i cant decide whether to try and fix the stock forks and keep the original front wheel or if i go crazy and put something different on it with more suspension and different wheel tire brake... im 50 50 right now lol