My Hercules Mcculloch Scrapyard Skat Kitty

WELL, nobody knows what these Mac weed whacker motors are worth.. We are going to find out. I picked up this little beauty today at the scrap yard for deal at $4 I thought. Already bought the John Deere for the Trike gears and tecumseh parts. ALSO FOUND A NICE!! HS 50 on a snowblower also pretty decent. Ended up 74 bucks in the hole today but have the blower, tractor to part out, 2 more adjustable tec carbs, a 60's Kawasaki air cleaner and my last minute winter project... The Hercules..
:punk: Here we have a home made scooter unit that looks awful BUT appears to be very well built. Good welds and heavy duty for total junk bike frame. It appears to be 1/2 little kids 10 inch bike.. with front forks from the same for a rear forks, a bicycle neck bearings jack shaft, 41 chain to what I'm pretty sure is OLD Lil Indian wheel, 1/2 of some sort of motorcycle fender. It has folding pegs,foot actuated scrub brake that works awesome, a full length bicycle kickstand that swings out and works killer, All the mechanical stuff seams to be working pretty good. The front forks are home made from 1/4 inch plate steel and there is a bump stop and the itsy bitsy tire is even a pneumatic. :thumbsup: I do not see hot a motor would have been on here and I think it has NEVER BEEN RAN!!! It's a BRAND NEW MACHINE here Boys. :deal: I promised myself I wasn't building any bikes this winter but this thing would have been shredded for sure and I want to see what a weed whacker motor will do. What better way to find out than the birth of the Hercules Travel Bike? What do ya think? What colors? I have some ape hangers and a folding goose neck. I'm going for a folding bike I think. POCKET bike. Soooooo what do ya think? Nice one, or no count? Did I get screwed out of 4 bucks?

[/url][/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thats a pretty neat bike 4$ sounds fair lol. Those little pneumatic wheels are pretty pricey to buy new. If you cant get the weed wacker engine to work well you can always put a 2hp briggs on it.

Hell yeah.. I have ground off some rerod and crap in the way on the frame and ground off some extra material on the crank case of the motor. I found a Green Machines cover that I cut off to expose the output shaft like 5 years ago.. I also found me a headlight and 50's Chrysler fiberglass bout tail light that might have to make their way to the Hercules.. I have the motor somewhat bolted down for pics. Needs final tweaking and we can concentrate on drive line. I saw on the rear wheel there are chain rubs so they DID have the thing running once. It has some tapered car style wheel bearings that fit into races. Not a Lil Indian but something pretty heavy duty and same old Carlisle tire and I'm running it.. They are good and solid but it needs better spacers.. Been a couple hours :hammer: but we're making it places. Shouldn't be long.
[/IMG]

SpyGuy

This is going to be an interesting build ........ I'll be watching this thread.

If you need to run different wheels, I think the BladeZ Moby wheels are about that size, and run #25 chain, same as pb wheels.

No I have a pair and I think they are Chrysler. ACTUALLY I am not sure as they might go to something else but I am pretty sure it will be a Chrysler build as I saw a 57 Chrysler Fiberglass 16 foot runabout type boat with tail lights and fins and looks like a 50's car. Ya know what I mean? I saw one of those that had the exact same deal...

This is going to be an interesting build ........ I'll be watching this thread.

If you need to run different wheels, I think the BladeZ Moby wheels are about that size, and run #25 chain, same as pb wheels.
HEY!! I might be interested in some of that if you have some. I remember having some of that stuff for RC gas powered cars I was building, and one sprocket fits this motor sweet... I need some chain and a big ass sprocket. probably 4 or 5 inches across like would be on the back of one of those electric scooters. I am heading out to dig and see what I can find right now.

Well, this is where I'm giving up for the first night. Need to get this stuff cleaned up. Found the THRASHED old sprocket from the Suicycle. It's wasted but might try and use it for a first shot at the moment because it's all I found near the right size. Here's the basic Idea I think. Handle bars need some MAJOR steel wool action. Here she is for now as of 20 till 2:00 am Michigan time. Not bad for it's first day here.

[/IMG]

Hey Wayne, you might be right about the Cadillac thing. They do look a LOT alike. I can't fathom Chrysler ever using Cadillac parts BUT they did stranger stuff... Dodge was always more of the innovators of new stuff and less likely to use somebody elses stuff though. Dodge brothers actually got their start at Ford and if it wasn't for the Dodge brothers Ford would have went under way back in the twentys because Ford could not build an engine that would run. All of the Model A cars had Dodge engines.. But, enough for taillights right now. I have some Boonie parts to mail out, then get back to drive line on the Hercules. I found a slightly larger Tilly Chainsaw carb and a Strait pipe I may incorporate to the machine but would rather see it RUN first... :doah:

Well, I'm gonna start messing with this thing again. I WANTED TO POST THAT I AM LOOKING FOR some 25 chain stuff if anybody has some. :smile: I found the sprocket for the motor I was talking about. That is going on NO DOUBT.. But all I have to go with it is SMALL like 1 inch across sprocket that is located deep in the possi of an RC car and it is WAY too little for this venture.. I have a little chain but NO rear sprocket.. I am thinking one of those electric scooters. I KNOW they make them. The ones at the junkyard are belt drive with no driver pulley so that's out.. I need the chain and rear sprocket from one of those electric scooters... I guess I'm going to concentrate on the engine running and ready to go for today..

that is a 59 caddy tail light. People usto put those on everything with wheels its no suprize you found them on something else. My unkles vw beetle even had them lol

HAHA!! yeah no doubt huh? Maybe they are the BIG TICKET items on Evilbay. :deal: And I have two.. :smile: Well, second update... THE ENGINE RUNS like a summuma bitch. :scooter: I decided if I was ever gonna use the BIGGER RACER Tillotson over the Walbro stocker it should be now whilst it's going together and I can fix any problems now. I ALSO noticed the walbro would go almost all the way around and the Tillotson goes to wide open and STOPS itself so it quickly turned into a Tilly racer project. I found a temporary gas tank and got the engine fired. Was a simple adjustment on all three screws and she starts idles and SCREAMS great.. I am thinking of using a thumb shifter from a bicycle as a ATV style throttle. I can keep the Schwinn grips and I don't plan any loooong trips on the thing so thumb cramps shouldn't be a problem. That is all easy to change.. I guess we are to throttle, maybe punch out the muffler.. Rear wheel spacers.. THEN WE ARE GOING TO NEEEEEEEEEED GEARS!!! Looking to buy 25 rear sprocket. :deal: More pics to come soon probably..

Look on DDM / Dave's Motors (www.davesmotors.com), Scooterparts4less.com, partsforscooters.com, and scooterpartsdepot.com. The #25 chain is a very common chain on pocketbikes (oops, said a bad word there), and all of those sites sell parts for them. Dave's is very fast and friendly. You just have to make sure when you order parts that you specify #25 chain. (#25H should work, too, just a heavier-duty version of the #25 chain.)

If you can, run BOTH of the '59 Caddy taillights on this thing, one above the other. Jeep is right - if it had wheels, it had Caddy bullets.

Another sugggestion for the throttle? Get one of the little two-finger pull brake levers from a BMX bike - worked great on my minibike build. Just big enough to grab with a finger, but small enough to stay out of your way once you back off the gas.

HAHA!! Hercules is the name of the red piece of whatever it is.. I thought it was perfect. It's a real beast.. Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check them out... I DID think about using both tail lights today as I was messing with it.. I was going to mount them to either side to keep it low and sleek looking but I hate to ad ANY weight that it doesn't need. MY GOD Dude it's WAYyyyy heavy just the motor and frame. :shrug: PLUS it's a weed whacker :shrug: we'll see.... I DID put a thumb throttle 3 speed shifter from my 3 wheeler deeler I previously fabbed but the cable pulls hard and fck it.. I have another OLD 60's 3 speed aluminum TWIST shifter from a Western Flyer bike exactly like the one I used on the Suicycle.. I am building a different unit entirely there.. I've decided BOTH bikes are built from scrap and garbage.. I'm going to theme them the same. Suicycle and SAFE a Cycle or some dumb shit. HAHA!! But there is ALSO a brass horn about perfect size to make a velocity stack like the Suicycle has, that I stashed away a year ago at the junkyard INCASE it found it's way onto something SOME day.. :thumbsup: SO I gotta get that yet.. :wink:
BUT.. as far as progress, I got a late start on it and not real steady of tinkering at all but we got as follows.. FIRST off is IT RUNS. Tillotson chainsaw carb and throttle hooked up quicky style to try it out.. Then there's the frame. WOW I FROZE for a WHILE bending and beating and tweaking the frame in to square of it's self. It had some stuff I wanted different so now's the time so I can build the rear wheel better. The seat and jackshaft still need tweaked but I gave up for now. I built a new chain that has master link and fits much better. I cut the seat post down to lower the stance of the whole thing. (ad stability- ALMOST as well as a tree) HAHA!! But it also looks cooler.. Chopper and low style. I have the headlight bolted on, I scrubbed a LOT on the headlight and tail light chrome and some of the handle bars but those things need replaced.... I really used too heavy of a gauge of steel wool but that's what I had...:doah: BUT I'm a pro like gifted prodigy hands on junk tinkerer mad genius with a :hammer: so the headlight looks like a MIRROR!! WOAH!! NICE!!! PERFECT NEW CHROME!!! Not bad for scrap yard tractor parts covered in 60 years of glued on dirt. The Caddy light is rotten some but that spot can go to the bottom, but some serious elbow grease and a disassembly went a LONG ways on that too... I got some pics but doesn't look much different really... It's THREE a.m this time and the bike is all torn apart. I give UP for the night. :thefinger: you ya stupid bike.. :sleeping:

*laffs* You're effing nuts ............. good man!:thumbsup: I like seeing these threads where people take the most oddball stuff they can find, and turn it into something uniquely cool..

I got an old BladeZ Moby goped with a bad engine .... but the rest of it is good, and it's chain drive (#25 chain, same as my pb's, I checked). May be another little minibike in the works soon .....