Need help identifying old dingo

Hello all!
So I recently picked up an old Manco dingo go kart. I was hoping somebody could help me identify the model. I know it doesn’t have the original motor now. Any information about it would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Definately not the original engine. The greyhound was the predecessor to the predator motor that harbor freight now sells.

Thanks. That I did know. I believe they stopped selling them in 2011 or so. That’s part of the reason I’m trying to figure out the model so I can find out what engine was originally in it

I’ve been trying to locate a number somewhere on the frame and haven’t been able to find one yet. I did search an a ton of images come up but what’s throwing me off is the two triangle braces on each side of the seat with the circle cut in them.

Come on. This is a pretty easy one. Manco Dingo model 285. Try this. https://www.bmikarts.com/PDF/Manco/Model No. 285-207/285-207 Owners Manual Dingo.pdf The "5" in the model number means 5 hp. Briggs and stratton. Approx. 1980. What else do you need to know? I have somewhat of an obsession with Dingos. I've got 3 of them. I prefer the larger 388. That came with an 8 hp Briggs. I put a built Honda gx390 on it. Almost the same kart, only a little larger. Heres a pic of my 285.

Attachments

Last edited:
How big are the rear tires 15" or 22"? Briggs quit selling engines to the kart manufacturers in 1999 so it was Tecumseh starting in 2000 to 2005 when all the kart manufacturers shut done production.

No, I bought the red one from the second owner. It was already red. Garage kept, with paperwork. Done in automotive paint. I've been able to match the color pretty good. I've made a lot of modifications to it. Pretty much redone from the ground up. The blue one used to be black. Rough shape from Detroit. It was straight though.
I stripped it down to bare metal, modified the frame to mimic the 388, rebuilt everything and painted it with auto paint.
I ride the red one mostly on the dirt back roads. She's hit 60. 57 seems to be tops now. Hydraulic brakes made a world of difference. I baby the blue one. Mostly a garage queen.
I am modifying it right now though. Just put a racing head and a new cam from NR racing in it. Just breaking it in right now. Haven't pushed it yet.

Attachments

Last edited: