Need help setting idle speed

Trying to get my sons' go kart up and running. I don't have much experience with these things, so bear with me. With your help, I was able to replace the clutch assembly, and it's great. But now the issue is that the engine just won't settle down to a good idle. It's revving hard at all times. I can't get it to slow down. I'm not letting my kids ride it so that I burn up the new clutch.

I have the air cleaner assembly off and took these pictures. I've figured out what controls the idle speed (at least I think...) but can't figure out how to adjust it. Here are a few pictures. In this picture, the small metal rod in the middle with the black plastic on one end and the "c" shaped metal on the other moves. If I rotate it so that the screw sticking out of the metal "c" rotates counterclokewise, the idle settles down.

This picture is the far end of the assembly (if I follow the black plastic piece and the connections). The backwards "C" is where this connects. When I move the rod on top to slow the idle, this "C" moved down slightly.

How do I adjust this so the idle stays slow? Thanks for any help!

Aaah Man, I rushed into the shop to take pics of a carb to show you, then got back to see your pics had loaded and I have no idea what engine it is - Sorry

Not to worry someone will come along soon with the answer.

The first photo shows the engine at full throttle. If that's where it sits statically, you have too much spring tension on the govenor. I assume that spring is in photo 2.

Yes, those photos were taken with the kart engine not running, so it's static position. Any idea how I loosen the spring tension on the governor? Like I mentioned, if I rotate that metal piece in the top picture (with the screw end sticking out) counterclockwise so that the screw end touches the metal tab, the idle slows way down. In fact, it nearly stalls. But I can't figure out how to adjust it to stay that way.

That spring in the second photo is probably the one holding the throttle so high. It sets tension against the govenor spring.

In the first photo, I see a rod with a nut on the end, rusty. I don't know why you have that on this cart. I have a Briggs on an aircompressor that uses that rod which is attached to a pneumatic valve to bring RPM down at a certain air pressure.

I'm sorry I can't be more help here. I recommend posting this under the appropriate "Engine" forums here. You will probably get some expert help there, since a lot of people don't look at the "more than 2 wheels" forum. Good luck.